How do I know when my over wintered hive is ready to split?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Currently one of my hives is rather large and has 8 frames with brood in the top deep super and 5 or so with brood in the bottom deep super.

I have not found any swarm cells yet but would like to split before it has the chance to swarm.

The hive has a very good queen with solid pattern brood so I plan to keep her with the original hive. I have a Saskatraz queen on order shipping April 24 for the split.

Ready for any ideas.

You can split a hive any time. It’s purely dependent on what size you want the splits. By the sounds of it and if we are talking a bs standard deep box you could already take a small nuc off atm. You should have no problem in a couple of weeks!

I am in Cass Co. Michigan (Southwest). Dandelions are just starting.

It is a Saskatraz hive with double deep supers.
We’ve no idea what that hive type is do you have a link!

all I can find online about sakaraz is that it's just another 'hybrid' bee developed in Canadada - no mention of the hive type at all.
Oh, and it's 'varroa resistant'

Saskatraz Hybrid Honey Bees Information

Saskatraz hybrid queen bees come from Olivarez Honey Bees in Northern California, who has been producing some of the highest quality honey bee queens for over 50 years. Saskatraz hybrid queen bees originate from Saskatchewan Canada and have been selected for high honey production, good overwintering ability, temperament (these bees have been very gentle to work with), tracheal mite resistance, and varroa mite resistance. The Saskatraz breeding program uses recurrent natural selection to select for varroa tolerance in productive colonies with good economic traits, and queens are crossed with VSH bees to increase varroa resistance. Other traits include: fast spring buildup, which results in increased honey production during the summer honey flows. Drones from these queens carry the genetics of their mother, so use of this stock will incorporate the Saskatraz genes into your existing hives by the natural requeening process.

Saskatraz Hybrid queens have been crossed and open mated with different genetic families, including Italian Hybrid and Carniolan. Since they have such a diverse genetic background, the coloring can be different on the queens, from a lighter yellow color with a black tipped tail, to a tiger striped color, and even a darker black color. We can not guarantee what color of queen you will be receiving, just that it will be a Saskatraz queen.

all I can find online about sakaraz is that it's just another 'hybrid' bee developed in Canadada - no mention of the hive type at all.
Oh, and it's 'varroa resistant'
At least they have the decency to say resistance😂

They currently have thirteen brood frames, if you take just two or three as a nuc for your new queen it should leave your main colony still able to bring in a good yield. When is your main flow?

Back