How do I know when my over wintered hive is ready to split?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope for the bees sake he’s getting better weather than us, although next week is looking promising!
Oh please!!!!!
We are surrounded by dandelions. I supered a few hives last week...had to. One colony has retreated to the depths of the brood box with ne'er a bee to be seen on top. At least the wind has left the roofs on.

Oh please!!!!!
We are surrounded by dandelions. I supered a few hives last week...had to. One colony has retreated to the depths of the brood box with ne'er a bee to be seen on top. At least the wind has left the roofs on.
Much the same with me lots of Dandelions fruit trees and a huge amount of Laurel. But there’s little fresh nectar in the hives🤬….I may even try a graft next week if it improves as predicted.

The fruit trees are starting to come out but the wind and rain yesterday were diabolical down here - an hours sun in the morning, then scattered showers and by the afternoon the rain was horizontal with 50mph gusts. I think an hour is barely enough time for the scouts to get out and about and find the sources of pollen and nectar .. by the time the committee has decided where the best forage is the wind and rain stops play ... so annoying.

Latest posts

Back