Spare Queen for me, best approach?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi, this is my second year beekeeping. My two hives (commercial BB with National supers) have come through the winter successfully. After a non returning virgin and a poor laying Queen last year I was hoping to be more prepared this year. I now have a spare full size hive for AS and a nuc. What would be the best way of rearing a spare Queen for the Nuc "just in case" she is required. Both colonies are now headed by good sized good laying last year Queens. One half size colony (due to poor queen that was replaced by the bees at the end of the year) is building up well and the other colony is going very well with a super half full. After reading Ted Hooper's book I am determined to rear the best quality Queens that I can. Thanks for your advice.

why worry about raising some, if your queens are good, surely you'll get swarms cells this year, add one to a small queen rearing nuc with a cupful of bees

Latest posts

Back