spare equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many beekeepers have sufficient 'spare' equipment?

• Total voters

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
so, how many folk have sufficient spare equipment?

I keep reading on the forum of beekeepers being 'caught out' without enough spare equipment, so let's see who is trying to be one step ahead of their bees!

rgds, Tony

I usually have at least 3 if not more hives sat complete and ready to go I also have frames made up with foundation in a dedicated fridge in the garage.:)

three hives.....dedicated fridge......
smug :)

Last edited:
I have a mouseguard spare

I can easily make some more by cutting the remaining halves into smaller bits!

RAB

I always have spares of everything ...

... except whatever it is I need at the time!

Anyone need a spare beebrush or twenty?

ha ha the trouble for me with quite a few hives and a very large poultry farm to run its hard to find time to sort things out at short notice.
And yes having everything ready takes all the fun away.

have a few bits some flat packed, but as with most I think you never have enough! last year i thought i had enough brood frames to last the next 10 years this year i appear to be running short!

I am the proud owner of 3 hive tools however never more than 1 is ever locatable at any given time:rolleyes:

and the reason DD doesnt ever have the right stuff is because he is so prepared and we know it so hes the first person i would think to call when I run out :D

I Don't, made an eight frame box out of a polystyrene fish box as a stopgap. I will make wooden brood and supers over the summer. I hope.

Tough one this!

Enough hives parts to maintain my target 4 hives over winter plus the ability to split/manipulate/gather honey etc ...... yes (just) - so thats where my vote went.

Enough hives parts to provide a swarm control service to the local community which seems to have ballooned to an un-supportable level this year ....... no (and would not attempt to!)

:willy_nilly:

For you a special price, just £45.78 + vat

Last edited:
and the reason DD doesnt ever have the right stuff is because he is so prepared and we know it so hes the first person i would think to call when I run out :D

DD has my sympathies!

I started with 1 colony this year and made the decision that it was enough for me to cope with and I would take the risk that I would end up with nothing if it didn't get trough winter.

Made sure I had enough of everything spare just incase the unexpected happened. 2 months later my Mum runs out of space and I end up with a new nuc going into the spare hive but am a bit calmer than when I started so happy I will manage.
2 weeks later, a couple more swarms and nucs out growing their nuc boxes and my spare, spare hive is now at my mums and filled.

Latest posts

Back