Spacing between hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been given access to a narrow strip of field, about 300 yards long, and can put 'as many hives as I like' there.... which is a great offer.

But due to the width, I can only really keep the hives in a single line....so I'm trying to determine how many hives I can reasonably go to.....but wondering what the ideal spacing should be between each hive.... don't want them too close to each other... but neither do I want to lose space; any thoughts on optimum spacing gratefully received.

Thanks J....maybe I'm overthinking it, if you can go down to just a few inches. But in pairs, with space for inspections in between feels like the ideal. Cheers.

Keep them on strong stands on firm base. Don't forget the pack of cards syndrome.if one falls it can knock the others over!!!!! I have that T shirt!
E

300 yards long so you have plenty of space. I suggest you are not too mean on the working space you allow between groups of hives. Once you start putting kit down it can become congested.

Thanks J....maybe I'm overthinking it, if you can go down to just a few inches. But in pairs, with space for inspections in between feels like the ideal. Cheers.

I build triple hive stands (just over five feet long) but only keep two hives on each so there is a twenty inch gap in the middle to put the roof, supers etc. on whilst inspecting (also an emergency space for an extra hive, nuc, whatever) I space them so that there's plenty of room between each pair for inspections/moving kit etc.

Attachments

• ty uchaf 1.jpg
    ty uchaf 1.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 73
  • ty uchaf 2.jpg
    ty uchaf 2.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 64
I build triple hive stands (just over five feet long) but only keep two hives on each so there is a twenty inch gap in the middle to put the roof, supers etc. on whilst inspecting (also an emergency space for an extra hive, nuc, whatever) I space them so that there's plenty of room between each pair for inspections/moving kit etc.

Ditto! I use 3.6m tanilised fencing rails from Mole Country Stores. They cost under a fiver each and 2 make a 6' long hive stand for about £10 including screws.

You might want to think about access and vandalism.
You would not want to move hives and supers a long way from your access point.
Most keeps like to have hives hidden from general view. A point where the farmer/owner or a friendly neighbour can see them may help.

couple of inches apart is fine - to make it easier for yourself you could always keep them in pairs with a hive width between each pair for ease of inspection

Neat
It’s what I try to do except the stands are made around fence posts driven into the ground.

Perfect! Thats what I'll do J. Great pics- I've got some pallets that when sawn in half and put together end to end give me neat 15 ft run.... so, legs into the ground, giving stability, think I'm sorted 😁Thanks all.

Perfect! Thats what I'll do J. Great pics- I've got some pallets that when sawn in half and put together end to end give me neat 15 ft run.... so, legs into the ground, giving stability, think I'm sorted 😁Thanks all.

Careful. I used pallets in the first instance. They rotted pretty quickly, 5 years and they were gone

Wood buried in the ground tends to rot quite quickly, however treated. I stand mine on old paving slabs. Any give in the ground and I can still adjust the level.

Wood buried in the ground tends to rot quite quickly, however treated. I stand mine on old paving slabs. Any give in the ground and I can still adjust the level.

Does that include stock fencing?
Because the farmers around here don’t appear to renew it

Since the preservative was changed (made eco-safer??) we are lucky to get 5 yrs before they biodegrade.

Get some pot blocks and some wooden beams, set the blocks level and stick the beams on top. Will last as long as it takes for the beams to degrade.

Latest posts

Back