Sore dog paw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swelling is back up. Off to the vets tomorrow if I can get an appointment. An unhappy mini schnauzer 😢
At least you won't have the excessive cost of out of hours Vet treatment ... our pooch seems to know it's Sunday when he decides to eat a sock or a tennis ball or length of garden hose or a plastic bag ... apart from the sock all picked up and ingested whilst he was out on a walk. I wish people would take their rubbish home. He had a season ticket at the OOH Vet last year ... £325 a go to make him sick and throw up what the little sod had eaten .... He's insured, but it's classed as a new treatment every time so ... excess applies and the 20% we don't get back. They love him down there .....

Poor little bear. Hate those collars.I used to use something like this one. Deal: Emwel Pet Inflatable Collar for Dogs and Cats, Comfy Dog Protective Cone for Recovery, Inflatable Basic Dog Collars, Medium https://amzn.eu/d/c6E1JOp

Poor little bear. Hate those collars.I used to use something like this one. Deal: Emwel Pet Inflatable Collar for Dogs and Cats, Comfy Dog Protective Cone for Recovery, Inflatable Basic Dog Collars, Medium https://amzn.eu/d/c6E1JOp
Yes .. we have one of those for our dogs ... they seem to prefer it to the lampshade of shame ... but you have to be a bit careful with the inflatable ones - it's amazing how far a dog can contort if they want to get at part of their body that you would think they have no chance of reaching !

It's like the old saying - ""Why do dogs lick their bums ? .... because they can !"

Does it stop them reaching front paws? I wasn’t sure if it would. She’s very unhappy. It’s going to be a miserable week, no walks, no chasing squirrels or pigeons!

Does it stop them reaching front paws? I wasn’t sure if it would. She’s very unhappy. It’s going to be a miserable week, no walks, no chasing squirrels or pigeons!
It certainly makes it difficult for them although our last labrador had quite long legs and he managed to work out that of he laid on his side he could reach his back paws !

I was wondering about tying a soft sock on for tonight as I don’t think she can reach her water bowl. Would that be acceptable?

Buy her some doggie socks. She can wear one on walks and you can take the collar off. Wash foot and sock when you get home. No need to stop walks or chasing.

I’ve ordered the soft collar. Will get some doggy socks.
I had to improvise last night as the plastic collar stopped her being able to drink independently.
Thanks for the advice

I’ve ordered the soft collar. Will get some doggy socks.
I had to improvise last night as the plastic collar stopped her being able to drink independently.
Thanks for the advice
Our dog could get any sock or shoe off in seconds. Even secured with duck tape. Wasted money on leather shoes in an effort to get him to leave them on as they were tight fitting. The sock annoyed him more than the collar! Hope it all works out

Our dog could get any sock or shoe off in seconds. Even secured with duck tape. Wasted money on leather shoes in an effort to get him to leave them on as they were tight fitting. The sock annoyed him more than the collar! Hope it all works out
Which is why you use them for walks only then put the collar back

Out of interest and concern can anyone recommend a good insurer for pet dogs as swmbo brought home a 13 week old miniature jack Russell from an animal rescue 2 weeks ago. She's covered by some gratis insurance arranged by the centre but that only lasts for I think 6 weeks so will need to get her covered.

Out of interest and concern can anyone recommend a good insurer for pet dogs as swmbo brought home a 13 week old miniature jack Russell from an animal rescue 2 weeks ago. She's covered by some gratis insurance arranged by the centre but that only lasts for I think 6 weeks so will need to get her covered.
We've been with Petplan for the last 20 years at least - the things to watch out for is that the policy needs to be renewable without any condition restrictions. Some policies will not renew with any prior or existing ailments included. With Petplan (and they are not the cheapest) they cover for life any ailments that occur within the life of the policy. Unfortunately, you are locked in as, if you change insurers, they all refuse to cover any previous conditions or ailments. The premiums go up year on year .. we were paying the better part of £400 a year in the last few years of our last labradors life - we had hardly had a claim up until that point - but treatment in the last couple of years when he contracted cancer far outweighed the premiums we paid.

Our latest policy with them has covered in the last 20 months a small fortune in Vets bills for our present dog - an X ray can cost £800 - any operation- depending on the complexity .. £2000 minimum ! MRI Scan - £1500. Out of hours Vet appointment in our area - £250 to £350 depending on treatment. Veterinary medicines are notoriously expensive ...

You pay an excess on each condition at the start and they payout 80% of all costs. It's all things you have to weigh up - it's a gamble - you bet you get more back than you pay out - the Insurers bet they pay out less than you pay in ! It really is a matter of luck but the policy also covers unexpected death of the dog, third party cover if your dog causes damage and other things.

Most UK Vets recognise Petplan and will deal direct with them over claims so you may not need to pay out and reclaim. We have had good service from them over the years - they pay out claims quickly and do not try to avoid settling legitimate claims.

There is, however, a good case for putting money aside into a money earner of some sort and hoping that you will never need to spend the money you have put aside on Vets bills .... In the immortal words of Dirty Harry 'Do you feel lucky today ?'

Put the money you would have spent on the insurance into a seperate bank account, or tin box under the bed, we have had dogs for many years and have always paid more in insurance than we have claimed. I know that is not the same for all but that is how insurance works!

Put the money you would have spent on the insurance into a seperate bank account, or tin box under the bed, we have had dogs for many years and have always paid more in insurance than we have claimed. I know that is not the same for all but that is how insurance works!
Yes ... we probably have broken even over the years ... but, the downside of not having insurance is when the unthinkable happens and your dog needs major surgery or develops an on-going lifetime condition. If you have the resources to dip in and pay for the treatment then that's problem solved ... if you don't have a few thousand in the bank what is the alternative when your pet needs treatment ?

Latest posts

Back