Sore dog paw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Our family dog has probably been stung on the paw by an insect. She likes to nose bees in particular. It’s quite swollen and she’s licking it loads. Able to weight bear fine. Is there anything I can do tonight to ease the discomfort?
IMG_8372.jpeg

usually goes overnight - our mini sausage got stung on the top of her hind leg a few days ago, the noise she made when picked up later was so bad we thought she'd had another IVDD episode, she hardly moved all night (she sleeps at the foot of the bed) but the following morning, she was back to her usual PITA self!!

Last edited:
Grass seed is a real pain at this time of the year. Our dog has had it the last three years. it gets under the skin. swells, moves up a vein in the leg and pops out of an ulcer that forms higher up the leg. Disgusting really. Costs us loads at the vets. We have to keep him off certain grass with a certain type of seed head.. He has been stung too and hyperventilated for ages but calmed down after a £200 emergency vet visit

It’s still very swollen this morning. Should I get an emergency appointment today, or is it ok to wait until tomorrow?

It’s still very swollen this morning. Should I get an emergency appointment today, or is it ok to wait until tomorrow?
It will wait but the quicker it’s dealt with the easier that seed will be to find. I found I could get them out with alligator forceps with no anaesthetic if the owner could hold the doggie still.

If it's still bothering her this morning have it looked at for a grass seed which has wiggled its way up into the soft tissues. I used to get lots of them this time of year.
Our pooch has very hairy paws (they get clipped regularly at the groomers but he's reluctant to let us do it) he regularly gets grass seeds or small stones in between his paws and we know immediately as he will lay down, turn his paws over and chew at them, Fortunately, he will allow me to get at them an remove them - if you get to them quickly they don't get embedded. It's worse in winter as he gets mud in them and we have to wash it out - he's very clever and has worked out tha it's better t avoid mud and puddles and will do his best to walk round them !

No I meant left in by the vet. It won’t track if they get it out.
We are left with the option of operating at vast expense to get it out or letting it run its course. When it gets to the ulcer stage she digs in and hooks it out. Probably our fault for not going to the vet the same day it happens! Touchwood it hasn't happened this year.

We are left with the option of operating at vast expense to get it out or letting it run its course. When it gets to the ulcer stage she digs in and hooks it out. Probably our fault for not going to the vet the same day it happens! Touchwood it hasn't happened this year.
I used to have some success poulticing them for 24-48h (the ones they use on horses) if they'd got to the swollen stage before presenting. Saved a few owners a bit and spared the dogs a procedure. Didn't work every single time although can't remember many failing. I found they usually popped out on top of the paw rather than halfway up a leg though.

I used to have some success poulticing them for 24-48h (the ones they use on horses) if they'd got to the swollen stage before presenting. Saved a few owners a bit and spared the dogs a procedure. Didn't work every single time although can't remember many failing. I found they usually popped out on top of the paw rather than halfway up a leg though.
The last one came out about two thirds of the way up his leg. Still intact and looking like a grass seed🤮

The last one came out about two thirds of the way up his leg. Still intact and looking like a grass seed🤮
I've got a sliver of bamboo a few inches long in formalin which I took out of a deerhound's leg, had gone in between the pads and was working upwards!

Back