Sore Back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JLumbar support while beekeeping?
I was advised not to, if used wrongly they can push the back out of line or can even weaken muscles because they rely on the support. Apparently, I have no idea if it's true.
Instead of moving full boxes, have handy another box and move the frames into that as you inspect them, or until you can pick up the box without risking injuring your back.

:iagree: That's what I do. If I need to move a brood box I shift the frames of stores into another box and move them on their own. Temporarily fill the gap with frames of foundation if the hive has to be moved a long way, don't bother if it's only a couple of feet.

Dishmop; This morning I started to polish the roof of the motorhome........ got exhausted so we went out for afternoon cream tea in Holt.[/QUOTE said:
There's posh! Did you take out a loan to afford the Chelsea by the sea prices?
Cazza

I was advised not to, if used wrongly they can push the back out of line or can even weaken muscles because they rely on the support. Apparently, I have no idea if it's true.

Reading this thread has highlighted a number of myths and misconceptions regarding backs and injuries:
Discs do NOT slip - it is anatomically impossible - the disc is attached to the surfaces of the upper and lower vertebrae at each joint - the disc can only herniate or prolapse. The term 'slipped' disc is such an unhelpful image for the sufferer to have in their head.

Lumbar supports - again they cannot push the back 'out of line', but if the wearer has them pulled in so tight they can interfere with the normal structural stability mechanisms of the back. Lumbar supports can help when they are used so that they keep the muscles warm (muscles like warmth) plus the presence of the support on the skin gives additional feedback to the brain regarding where joints are in relation to each other - very often in injuries the ligamentous tissue is injured (think ankle sprain) and the receptors responsible for telling the brain where the joint is are housed in the ligaments - so the receptors are effectively giving duff info so the brain cannot coordinate appropriate muscle support smoothly and effectively.

As has been correctly identified in some of the replies to this thread, the worst possible positions for lifting and moving heavy items are with the back slightly flexed and rotated at the same time - the stabilising joints are furthest apart at this point.

Height is very important - the strongest lifting position is with the arms working at a height between hip and elbow level, so put your hives at that height wherever possible.

If you do suffer a strain - ice applied to the area for about 10 mins every so often is very helpful - as is keeping moving :)

There's posh! Did you take out a loan to afford the Chelsea by the sea prices?
Cazza
Might have needed to if we had had to pay..

Gift vouchers from our daughters.

They also bought us museum passes..

I have to take gabapentin as a pain blocker and Co codamol and tramadol as pain relief for my discs that have gone.

I have now been told not to get involved when kids need to be restrained at school as the last time just before December did my lower back again and more worryingly a disc in my neck where now if I am driving and look right to see traffic coming or any other thing that twists my neck I get pins and needles all the way down my arm and into my hand and then lose all sensation in my hand for a few mins.

Been re-referred for an mri at the end of feb and still waiting for the appointment. I just love the NHS these days.

the disc can only herniate or prolapse.
Strange - because two of mine are protruding out between the vertebrae and pressing against the sciatic nerve - I've seen the pictures! another one is totally prolapsed though

The risks people take with their backs are appalling.
While you can lift a prodigious weight close in and the limbs in the correct range, like a crane, the safe load drops rapidly outside those limits.
people work hives with low stands and without a table to place the heavy boxes on and then wonder why they have back problems.

Strange - because two of mine are protruding out between the vertebrae and pressing against the sciatic nerve - I've seen the pictures! another one is totally prolapsed though

Exactly - they are protruding - not slipped - and yes I don't doubt they can impinge onto the sciatic nerve, in my profession they are my 'bread and butter' as it were.

The term 'slipped disc' is a real pet hate of mine, as you might have guessed. I'd hazard a guess that the orthopaedic consultant/radiologist who gave the report on the xray/mri didn't use the term, but the GP might have done.

I'm pleased to say I seem to have done no lasting harm. Still a bit sore but got a lot of physical stuff done today. I'm humbled and suitably chastened and forewarned by some of the other stories and advice on this thread. Many thanks

I'd just like to comment that I was not handling THAT much weight. Two supers probably, less than 25% full. I think it was swinging them, probably away from my body and reaching to try and position them without squashing bees. All a bit too quickly, and that is the main point I think.

I have done this once before - just bending sideways to pick up a bag - again not very heavy. A twang in my lower back and I was on the floor unable to do more than crawl as if hit by a bullet. Sweating from pain and shock and unable to do anything for a couple of hours. But 24h later it was all gone and life was back to normal. This was all 5 years ago

I do wonder if I should find a physio and follow up the advice about exercises. I'll chat with my GP

Thanks all

The term 'slipped disc' is a real pet hate of mine, as you might have guessed. I'd hazard a guess that the orthopaedic consultant/radiologist who gave the report on the xray/mri didn't use the term, but the GP might have done.
Funnily enough neither did (but my GP does moonlight as an orthopaedic consultant :D) nor did I until I realised noone at work (including OHS) took it seriously until I called it a slipped disk.

Called the hospital today and was told I still have about 15weeks until they are able to offer me an initial appointment for my back, and that's just for a chat before I get an MRI or anything.

Great when you consider I have already had one operation as a medical emergency and was told next time could leave me paralysed. Seems the NHS don't give a Sh1t anymore.

Latest posts

Back