Allergic reaction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm putting this out there in case anyone else has suffered similar symptoms, and might be able to help. I've been beekeeping for over 17 years now, but this winter I appear to have developed a reaction which seems to be related to my visits to my apiary. For example, today I went to check on levels of fondant, so only lifted the roof and checked the fondant box above the brood box. About two hours later my throat feels like its swelled slightly internally giving me a minor problem swallowing. I had previously put this down to a relic of a long niggling cold earlier this winter, but now I'm not too sure. I went to the doctor a while ago concerned that there may be something wrong and, ironically, he put me on a programme of anti histomin tablets, which did nothing. I've never suffered anything like this before, and find it hard to reconcile a reaction attributed to my bees, especially at this time of year. Any suggestions/experiences gratefully received from a rather concerned beekeeper.
:sos:

I don't know the answer but have you tried visiting a friend's apiary, doing the same thing to see if it happens there?

If it doesn't it could indicate it's something at the location of your apiary, not the bees or hive.

If you're concerned, why not ask for an allergy test, then you'd be sure.

Further to my last - or you could try visiting your apiary without opening any hives and see if it happens again.

Further to my last - or you could try visiting your apiary without opening any hives and see if it happens again.

Good idea. Seems to me unlikely (retired medic but please disregard that) that anything inhaled or touched would cause this reaction. I doubt if allergy testing would help - which allergen would you use for the challenge - presuming you were'nt stung?

Do you wear gloves when you work your hives? I know a beekeeper that has become allergic to Propolis, as you are opening your hives this may be something to do with it?

had you recently applied oxalic acid?
VM

It is possible to develop an allergy to...I'll call it "bee dust". The proteins given off by bees.

I have an entomologist friend who is a professor at the university. His specialty is a species of beetle, and a group of vespids here in Vermont. By handling them, he's become allergic to their dander, and he can no longer pick them up. His students have to do the work.

It is possible to develop an allergy to...I'll call it "bee dust". The proteins given off by bees.

I have an entomologist friend who is a professor at the university. His specialty is a species of beetle, and a group of vespids here in Vermont. By handling them, he's become allergic to their dander, and he can no longer pick them up. His students have to do the work.

Sounds like an excuse to me Michael.

Sorry only joking, I know what its like to have an allergy as I do to bee venom and am 1 year into the 3 year desensitisation program.

The best thing to do is try and isolate where/what activity causes it by deduction.

Under the circumstances maybe a good idea to have someone with you just to be on the safe side.

The best thing to do is try and isolate where/what activity causes it by deduction.

Under the circumstances maybe a good idea to have someone with you just to be on the safe side.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Yes, after I typed the post I thought of the visit a fellow beekeepers apiary idea, and I'm going back to dig up some very productive blackberry roots at my apiary for a friend. So that should help pinpoint the issue, or at least go some way to isolating the cause. I agree with the inhalation comment re bee dust but hopefully the above tests should rule that out. If anything comes of this I'll re-post to let you all know.

Latest posts

Back