Someone has been down to my hives ...other than me

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently looking after this posh little lady as her owner has gone off to India for a couple of weeks. She may not look it but she squared up to a pitbull type dog yesterday and the pitbull was lucky she was on her lead.

In the game fair last year SWMBO's miniature dachshund got embroiled in a set-to with a proper working terrier I only got there just in time to separate them - what I thought was the bog rat's submissive and distressed rolling on her back was in fact her getting a better position to clamp her jaws around the terrier's throat. I reckon that the terrier was within seconds of death when I prised her jaws apart.

Have a look here he got away with breaking the toe rags legs.

They were charged with theft and fined £75 whats that about?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/23/man-cleared-grievous-bodily-harm-thieves

Ha Ha ... Good for him .. I very much liked the idea of him chasing after the thieves and then catching up with them, disarming one of them of a fence post (Yeh ... the thief was running away with a fence post in his hand !) and then the thief gets both his legs broken and an arm (it was an accident yer honour - I never meant to hurt anyone !), he then rugby tackles the other thief and lays on him until the Police arrive ... great story !

There is justice .... infrequent, but it's still there !!

I think the thieves got off lightly with a £75 fine ... as for the assault charge - should never have gone to court - waste of public money - what were the CPS thinking of ??

Can i recommend that temporary site fencing. 8' by 6' galvanised mesh panels. Easily bolted together or could be chained. I use them for my chickens and soon my hives. Can be bought secondhand for about a fiver each. I even put 1 on top as a deterrant from red devils (Kites). five panels about £25 plus 6 brackets £18 plus 4 feet (not necessary) £20 plus a lock and chain on 1 corner needed for access. (you could electrify it if you put the legs in socks. That will slow the buggers down.)

Pretty sure that Red Kites are scavengers and do not kill their prey. :facts:

It's the Buzzards you need to watch out for. Not to mention the Chicken hawks......... ( Foghorn leghorn reference for those that can remember that far back!)

they spread east along the M4... and they are now going north along the A34...

roadkill diet perhaps. I dont think the magpies will be too pleased at them muscling in on their food supply.

Pretty sure that Red Kites are scavengers and do not kill their prey. :facts:

Diet

The Red Kite's diet consists mainly of small mammals such as mice, voles, shrews, young hares and rabbits. It feeds on a wide variety of carrion including sheep carcasses and dead game birds. Live birds are also taken and occasionally reptiles and amphibians. Earthworms form an important part of the diet, especially in spring.

As scavengers, red kites are particularly susceptible to poisoning. Illegal poison baits set for foxes or crows are indiscriminate and kill protected birds and other animals.

Diet

The Red Kite's diet consists mainly of small mammals such as mice, voles, shrews, young hares and rabbits. It feeds on a wide variety of carrion including sheep carcasses and dead game birds. Live birds are also taken and occasionally reptiles and amphibians. Earthworms form an important part of the diet, especially in spring.

As scavengers, red kites are particularly susceptible to poisoning. Illegal poison baits set for foxes or crows are indiscriminate and kill protected birds and other animals.

They are into Macs as well I am sorry to say.

We have a red Kite around here must have a six foot wingspan......casts a shadow when it swoops down...

We lost 3 chicks to something this year...probably a kestrel or something....but cant help wondering if the red kites didnt get them!

Currently looking after this posh little lady as her owner has gone off to India for a couple of weeks. She may not look it but she squared up to a pitbull type dog yesterday and the pitbull was lucky she was on her lead.

Cute dog, Jack Russell? I have a terrier and he has small dog complex too

I feed mine during the nesting season.....to help them out. Even the odd bit now in the morning. They come right down in front of me.......wonderful.

We have a red Kite around here

We only have sparrow hawka.
Sat in my kitchen a few years ago with the council's wildlife officer asking about local wildlife on the planned allotment site when I pointed out the window at it ripping a pigeon up. :)

Latest posts

Back