Some thoughts on a vertical AS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
A couple of my apairies I'm strictly speaking only allowed two hives so this year I've been experimenting with vertical AS's. Thought I would post with a couple of observations for beginner beeks. Not a problem if the more experienced would like to add/correct.

1) I use 14*12. Between the AS and confirming a laying q some stacks have 2 broods and 4-5 full shallows. Something to consider if you're physically challenged!
2) I constructed my own simple snelgrove boards - basically a modified cb.
3) No problems thus far with missing queens or robbing it would appear. I did draw shapes using coloured chalk at the various entrances to help with orientation.
4) The main problem I found was when inspecting the bottom half that you end up with a cloud of foragers at head height trying to find their missing home. I guess this could be avoided by moving the bottom colony to one side and working it there

I'm also experimenting like Maddydog and agree with all those points. Going to run the whole summer before making up my mind.

Inspecting the bottom box is tricky because of the returning foragers from the top colony. I tend to move to one side and then place supers back on stand whilst inspecting. Seems to work but does involve more lifting but this doesn't bother me at my age but may those who are less able.

What I like is being able to manage the flow of bees between colonies. Can also see big benefits of making united easier, although not got that far yet because waiting for top box queens to come in to lay

Yes, like fatbee says, it is a nuisance to inspect lower hives when bees are flying. And they are.

Once I has a vertical AS. When I started to inspect the hives, they were totally full of raspberry honey. About 70 kg. I must drive 30 km to pick new empty supers. IT was a Real mess and it took half day to put the hive in order. IT was last vertical AS on my beekeeping.

Vertical AS has advantage that you save one floor and roof.

When I need AS roofs and floors, it is handy to use polystyrene insulating board 30 mm. I can cut at once proper size pieces for extra hives. Some piece of wood to the floor edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea, could you not build a simple hoist on wheels, allowing you to lift the top hive and roll it back a couple of foot, giving you access without the flying bees,

something along these lines?

https://youtu.be/HodZBbTuQ1k

4) The main problem I found was when inspecting the bottom half that you end up with a cloud of foragers at head height trying to find their missing home. I guess this could be avoided by moving the bottom colony to one side and working it there

Hmm, hadn't thought of this one. Thanks for the heads up, I've been planning on experimenting with vertical a/s but maybe not. Although I'm physically capable of moving 14x12s, the thought of doing it for every inspection for a few weeks would get old fast.

I like the idea, could you not build a simple hoist on wheels, allowing you to lift the top hive and roll it back a couple of foot, giving you access without the flying bees,

something along these lines?

https://youtu.be/HodZBbTuQ1k

Wow guess that's one way of doing it! :) Maybe i'm wrong but it looks like the stack sits on top of the gadget, which kind of defeats the object! Also the fact that there were no bees makes me suspicious. Gotta love the ingenuity of the human race though :)

Hmm, hadn't thought of this one. Thanks for the heads up, I've been planning on experimenting with vertical a/s but maybe not. Although I'm physically capable of moving 14x12s, the thought of doing it for every inspection for a few weeks would get old fast.

Moving the lower half to one side works (obviously :) )
Shifting the brood boxes isn't too bad - one contains mostly emerged/ing bees, the other foundation. Lifting full supers that are above head height is another matter!

Plus points outweigh the negative imho, not that I have any choice at two sites! As previously mentioned less kit is required, colonies can be balanced, and easy to recombine are among the positives

...Plus points outweigh the negative imho, not that I have any choice at two sites! As previously mentioned less kit is required, colonies can be balanced, and easy to recombine are among the positives
Indeed, it's not as if you need to keep inspecting the bottom box of an AS immediately after it has been done. A late season split can even be overwintered as a vertically split colony and they're both warmer in the cold months. You are working at a greater height which might be a problem for some, it works quite well on a "bench" stand where there's a couple of stands and a gap so you're not lifting from floor to full height all the time. Otherwise there are lightweight platforms sold for decorators if its a regular feature.

It depends on size of the colony, when you need to do AS vertically or 10 feet away.

If colony has allready 4 boxes, one new box of foundations are is needed . Horizontal solution is then handy

But if hive is only one box, and it is going to swarm, it is even usefull to make vertical AS. As pile they get advantage from their each others' heat.

As said before, it is handy if you have styrofoam insulation board 30 mm. YOu may do quickly floors and roofs . And you may store them easily for next year. Who knows, when you need extra floor and roof when you get a new swarm.

Plus points outweigh the negative imho, not that I have any choice at two sites! As previously mentioned less kit is required, colonies can be balanced, and easy to recombine are among the positives

I do like the idea of easily balancing the foragers and of course less kit is always a good thing. I just don't like to move brood boxes any more than necessary. So I'm still rather undecided, guess I'll wait until the next need arises and then make a decision on the fly like I normally do ;)

Latest posts

Back