Some Advice Please - small gifting jars....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
I have been approached a few times by people wanting small jars for wedding favours or most recently, an AirBnB business who put hampers together for their guests.
Just wondered who on here might already be doing this and if so could I please ask:

Do you just offer a 4oz jar?
What are the labelling requirements? I imagine you still need to include as much as on a full sized jar - is it worth looking at a tie on label instead?
Is it a real faff to fill & put together?
Cost prohibitive for small volumes/unprofitable?

So far I have resisted as it seems like quite a lot of work for a relatively small volume. She's taken a small amount of my 8oz jars for her large property as it warrants the cost but she's quite keen to go the small jar route...

Any advice appreciated!

You need 1.5 ounce (42g) jars - C Wynne Jones sell them. You need to meet the same legal requirements although the font size stipulated is much smaller thus you only need smaller labels. I've had 30mm diameter round labels made which fit neatly on the lid. I just put the BBE labels on the jar bottoms fb.jpg
This one was a prototype, thus the 1.50 ounces!

Is it a real faff to fill & put together?
more fiddle, but I've found I can fill the jars easily using a standard honey gate valve, or a jug, the labels are no sweat.
Cost prohibitive for small volumes/unprofitable?
jars are a reasonable price but not cheap, but you can charge £3.00 plus for them, especially for wedding favours.

You need 1.5 ounce (42g) jars - C Wynne Jones sell them. You need to meet the same legal requirements although the font size stipulated is much smaller thus you only need smaller labels. I've had 30mm diameter round labels made which fit neatly on the lid. I just put the BBE labels on the jar bottoms View attachment 40926
Oh that's a great idea!

You need 1.5 ounce (42g) jars - C Wynne Jones sell them. You need to meet the same legal requirements although the font size stipulated is much smaller thus you only need smaller labels. I've had 30mm diameter round labels made which fit neatly on the lid. I just put the BBE labels on the jar bottoms View attachment 40926
I recently did 110 wedding favour 40 g jars with a mini dipper. The labelling unfortunately was hidden under the fabric topper the bride wanted! Very fiddly to prepare but a great challenge! I charged 3€50.

I have done this in the past and I adapted empty plastic sweetie jars from a sweet shop. I drilled/cut a hole near the bottom to fit a tap.
I used the following and found it perfect for the little pots that Wynne Jones supplies as a fast flow is not necessary but the control of these taps was spot on..

Labels - look at Stikaroo - they do loads of labels and were very helpful

I have a couple of boxes of jar but no lids. Happy for you to pay postage

Latest posts

Back