cut out colony advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeatshellards

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
5 plus more when they come along
hi I would like some advice please, I took a colony by cut out method today from a cavity in an old folks home shed, and the bees fully covered six frames that I tied into brood frames, they were fanning quite happily . I left a box in the shed with the frames in so the returning bees who were out can return, I plan to pick them up tommorrow evening and put them in a hive. My question is the frames were full of brood, no stores whatsoever , the wax was dry and quite brittle, so should I put new frames on the outside when I rehive them hoping they will build out comb, and when should I remove the" tied in comb" frames and replace them
also : ,I informed the staff that under no circumstances should anyone go near this area, so the twenty or so zimmer frames in the shed have been placed around in a large semi circle so no one can get near , just hope the residents dont wander down and walk off with them !!:)

No need to replace the tied in comb, the bees will attach it to the frames and chew the string or rubber bands off and discard them.

Yes I would center the brood with new frames on the outside. also sounds like you should stick some syrup on them.

yes I was going to feed, they must be starving !! thanks for the advice I wasnt sure about replacement as its my first cut out,:) so that answers my question

To speed things along if you have any drawn frames introduce these ideally say 2frames then a new frame of drawn wax then 2 more then another drawn frame. This will encourage the bees to move onto the newly introduced frames, you can then gradually move the the tied in frames to the outside of the box as the brood matures and hatches.

good thinking Sherwood, I only hope tommorrow that they are in the box with her maj,not clinging and climbing to the wall ..

Latest posts

Back