Soft set with high water content

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I've a bucket of honey that I've just extracted which is reading about 19.5%. I'd hoped to use it for soft set - will it be OK? Do I need to do anything differently because of the highish water content?

All I can say was that I jarred a bucket at 19% and every jar popped it’s lid. I emptied them into 1litre buckets and froze them then ate the lot through the year.

Test the bottom of the bucket. The difference between the top and the bottom may surprise you. If the bottom is ok then pour that off until the water content reaches the limit. Often it is the top inch only! A few jars that I use myself or for cooking.

Thanks for the advice - I thought that 19.5% would be just about OK as normal honey, but from Eric and Anduril's experience it looks like I might have to do a lot of cooking!!

Test the bottom of the bucket. The difference between the top and the bottom may surprise you. If the bottom is ok then pour that off until the water content reaches the limit. Often it is the top inch only! A few jars that I use myself or for cooking.
That's really helpful - I'll give it a try, thank you!

Remember that as it crystallises water is released and water content goes up
That's useful, thank you, I didn't know that - the mechanism of what happens when honey sets/granulates is a mystery to me! But I kindof felt that such weak honey might not be appropriate for soft-setting which is why I asked the question.

OK, due to all the questions about water content, the use of dehumidifiers, either before or after extracting. I'm now binge watching Bob Binnie on YouTube. He is someone we should have at one of our Conventions as a guest speaker. I provide a link from 2 years ago, which people may find interesting.

I have one if these and it’s works a treat but only in honey still in the comb. I test every uncapped frame
2AB3CD7E-B889-49C1-ADF0-8A6D8AA8C041.jpeg

OK, due to all the questions about water content, the use of dehumidifiers, either before or after extracting. I'm now binge watching Bob Binnie on YouTube. He is someone we should have at one of our Conventions as a guest speaker. I provide a link from 2 years ago, which people may find interesting.

Thanks for the link to this - well worth watching👍

Latest posts

Back