Soft set OSR query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
Can any one help please. I have followed the advice to make OSR soft set honey. The problem is that now it is in a jar, lines are appearing on the side as it shows in the picture. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know why this is happening. Many thanks.

Possibly trapped air bubbles rising to surface.
Or fermentation.
I would guess the former, cus it always happens to mine.

You can get frosting in soft set, I have had it in some that got very cold in the garage.

How long has it been in the jar? Have a look at the surface, if it looks wet then it may be it is starting to ferment.

Air bubbles rising in it , comes from whipping / mixing it too fast . & you really know how much air is in it if you weigh the jar before & after filling . It won't make the weight if you have too much air in it .

Thank you for the replies, I thought it may be air but wasn't sure.

Can any one help please. I have followed the advice to make OSR soft set honey. The problem is that now it is in a jar, lines are appearing on the side as it shows in the picture. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know why this is happening. Many thanks.

It's the honey monster trying to get out...

It looks like air to me, after creaming and before bottling let it stand, then skim the froth of the top. Less to go into your jars.

has it fully set?
I dont mean gone hard but has it finished crystallising. I find some of my soft set (not osr) looks quite weird while it is setting but once finished it is a uniform colour.

Can't say for sure without knowing more details of how it was processed into soft set / jarred.

If it is air bubbles then it will probably stay as it is.

If it is starting to ferment then very soon you will see more bubbles and the size of them will increase.

Latest posts

Back