Soft set/creamed honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11, mix of National & 14x12 + 2 Nuc
Hi all,

I'm going to attempt my first soft set/creamed honey this year as I'm getting quite a few requests for it from my repeat customers.

Now I have a choice of set honey in buckets to choose from as the main ingredient and was wondering which is the best to add the seed to in other peoples experience.

I have OSR honey set like white concrete harvested last spring or I have a summer crop which has set to form a really soft and pliable but grainy paste which is easily mixed using a spoon. It's almost like it soft set all by itself but with to larger crystals! :)
I also have some other hard set summer crop from last year too.

Any suggestions?

Yeah do a search on here and you find a video that will answer all your questions

Thank you very good video with lots of info.

It mentions you need a good seeding honey but makes no reference what is the best liquid honey to add it too. Think I'll try the OSR honey as I have more of that.

Thanks again :)

Thank you for the replies.
the first small batch is now almost ready to seed a full 30lb buckets worth.

One more question though, do others usually charge a bit extra for soft set or sell it at the same price as their runny honey?

thanks for any pointers

Thank you for the replies.
the first small batch is now almost ready to seed a full 30lb buckets worth.

One more question though, do others usually charge a bit extra for soft set or sell it at the same price as their runny honey?

thanks for any pointers

Don't know about others but I charge the same for clear and soft set.

It mentions you need a good seeding honey but makes no reference what is the best liquid honey to add it too. …

Just to make sure that its clear:
- the seed is either previous soft set honey or honey that has been ground (like with a pestle and mortar) until it is smooth rather than grainy
- the seed is only minimally warmed (just before mixing), so it flows a little more easily -- you want the tiny and broken crystals in the seed!
- the honey that is going to be seeded needs to be heated hot enough (45º?) for long enough (days for a bucketful) to completely dissolve all of its crystals. Hotter is quicker, but wrecks the flavour/aroma of the honey, and may leave you with degraded 'bakers honey'. Be patient!
- having redissolved all the crystals, you need to cool it to the same sort of temperature (30ish?) as the seed before mixing. You don't want the heat of the bulk honey to liquify the seed honey!

Depending on what honeys you have available, you might either blend together different 'grades' to get a 'better' (flavoured/textured) product, or aim for a 'monofloral' "pure" product. You should be able to make even an OSR honey that doesn't risk bending spoons!

I've tried to make soft set using the pestle and morter method. It's a lovely colour and the texture is good, but it is quite runny and doesn't seem to want to thicken up. I made it about a month ago, am I just being impatient?

After mixing in the seed, getting the stuff to the point of it setting, it should be jarred and then stored for a while (overnight to a few days) at about 12C - which is the temperature for fastest setting (thus getting the smallest {so smoothest} crystals in your set honey).

I made a small batch a couple of weeks ago using a really creamy textured seed and a small amount of summer honey from last august. The seed was very fine (no gritty bits at all) and was set to the consistency of really thick cream or whisked egg whites. So firm enough to stay on the spoon when put upside down but not solid.

I followed the procedure mentioned heating the honey in the warmer until completely melted, cooled and then added the seed. Mixed thoroughly and then placed back into the warmer cabinet with ice packs keeping the temp between about 8-14 degrees (best I could manage with the weather so warm!) and changing the ice packs over regularly and stiring each time they were changed over and several times in between. I really wanted to make sure the result was smooth as planned to use this to seed larger amounts. :)

The result is a nice tasting cream coloured set honey and the 2 guinea pigs I've given it too who usually buy their soft set from the super market have liked it. :)

Got about 5lb left and plan to seed a 30lb bucket in the not to distant future.

Thanks for all the tips

Latest posts

Back