So

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
This is doing my head in , NOT much does but this does, i listen to talk shows regularly when driving and when some one is asked a question they say So before they start talking, i am not the best person on the planet regarding literacy but where has this So fashion come from.. it does my head in as i have mentioned..:spy:

The one that gets me is "for free" instead of "free". The BBC are the worst with it.

You know what I mean...this sentence used over and over again by someone during a conversation, to me a person that keeps on saying this sound like they are stupid.

This is doing my head in , NOT much does but this does, i listen to talk shows regularly when driving and when some one is asked a question they say So before they start talking, i am not the best person on the planet regarding literacy but where has this So fashion come from.. it does my head in as i have mentioned..:spy:

What have you started? I noticed it on breakfast tv this morning and no doubt it'll be everywhere now my detector circuit has been primed :(
It's a bit like flemish pattern glass with tulip heads in. About half of the stuff is installed in windows and doors upside down. Householders are in blissful ignorance until someone points out the discrepancy. :hairpull:

Thanks Millett, I too was noticing the "so" at the start of virtually every sentence, even in supposedly well educated people, and it was doing my head in.
Perhaps we ought to start a "say no to so" campaign.

Yes, but no ....

Usually a footballer, third grade TV "star", tabloid journalist, BBC special correspondent, union rep, junior doctor, minor royalty, backbench MP, 'man in the street', witness, city trader, teacher i.e. anyone at all.

Does my head in.

Know what I mean?

So it does your head in. So? So! So. Could be so good for so many of us. So there.

So what is your point?

So, anything to do with bees? So it is, at least, in the off topic area. So I think it is totally off topic - so what? Who really cares?

So, stop listening while driving? So you can concentrate on driving. So it would be a safer place for other drivers.

It has taken over from the word basically. And while we are moaning, what about this tabs on the back of shirts and pullovers. After one wash they go like razor blades. I have to cut them out, I now buy t shirts with the makers name printed on the cloth rather than on a pigging scratchy label!!!!
E

I have a T shirt like that, it's very light weight and there are four big labels sewn into the side seam!!! It's like a book.

Language evolves. Much if this evolution annoys me as I am old and still remember how rigorously grammar was taught at school. Never start a sentence with a conjugation. I hate the way people inflect upwards at the end of a sentence. It makes it sound like a question. As for apostrophes; don’t get me started! I guess it is what it is. As long as we understand what is said

It annoys me as a I listen to Radio 4 a lot. I don't know where it's come from but it really grates.

The "So..." is clearly a verbal tic used by interviewees to compose themselves before speaking. It does not seem to afflict a particular type of interviewee, e.g. it's not just BBC journos, politicians, academics, but it does crop up very frequently in interviews across the R4 programming. I wonder if they are briefed by the interviewer, producer, or researcher beforehand?

The only thing that's worse at the moment is Americans "reaching out to..." somebody. It manages to mix sugary false sincerity with "couldn't be arsed to actually converse".

:calmdown:

So basically you know English is not wot it wos.
I blaim the Scots /Welsh/Irish/immigrants as the English no beter.

Well. I seem to use Well, not So.

I know why, it's because you brain is lining up the words to come out, actually "saying" them as the flow to the annunciators.

Well, that's what I think.

Language evolves. Much if this evolution annoys me as I am old and still remember how rigorously grammar was taught at school. Never start a sentence with a conjugation. I hate the way people inflect upwards at the end of a sentence. It makes it sound like a question. As for apostrophes; don’t get me started! I guess it is what it is. As long as we understand what is said

Ever read :Eats shoots and leaves'?
Good book if you like grammar
E

So folks!
As someone said the grammar radar suddenly clicks in when someone points things like this out......
This morning I was listening to radio 4 and suddenly heard a sentence start with "so". The sentence was a contemporary report on the coronation of a King of England, in fact William the Conquer on 25th December 1066 so it would seem this use of so may have been around for many years! 😀

So , is annoying but “ going forward “ has to be one of the worst .

Latest posts

Back