So many questions.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I have been reading At the Hive Entrance by H. Storch, and I have many questions as a result.

1. Wax moth - Speaking about pupae found in front of the hive, he states that wax moth is at work, and results in the bees being unable to cap the brood. Is wax moth a cause of bald brood? Are there any other causes?

2. Speaking of bees ' as black as coal ', remarkably thin and with no hair, he states that the colony is affected by paralysis, typical during honeydew flow (parathyphus) Is parathyphus known by another name I would have heard of? I haven't come across this before in anything I have read. Does anyone have any experience of this condition?

3. He refers to varroa as Varroa Jacobsoni. I thought they were known as Varroa Destructor. Are there different types of varroa?

4. This is not a question from reading Storch, but one I thought of while reading. Do people prefer to use a different method of feeding at different times of year? I mean the equipment used to present the feed, not the feed itself.

5. Pollen traps. How do you give back the pollen to the bees?

These are the questions off the top of my head, no doubt there will be many more lol

2. I think this is Chronic paralysis virus, type 2 syndrome. Shiny black bees with little or no hair.

3. Varroa jacobsoni was what crossed species from apis cerana. I think it has now mutated slightly and been reclassified as Varroa Destructor.

4. Well I use rapid or frame feeders for colonies building up and needing steady feeding in spring, and miller feeders for bulk feed in autumn.

Don't know answers to the other questions.

1. yes
2. Chronic bee paralysis, body becomes brittle and easily wounded allowing viruses into the bees blood and then it spread to other bees
3. no
4. yes, disposable plastic food containers up turned on top of feed hole to feed fondant
5. pollen patties
Have a look at bee base for some good info on bee disease

How would chronic bee paralysis be treated?

You can't directly, but it is exacerbated by a high varroa load.

It is also a secondary result of infections such as acarine.

It is now widely believed that the 'Isle of Wight disease', that was originally attributed to acarine, was much more a result of CPV.

So vigilance should avoid it. Thanks. I'm brushing up on my bee diseases at the moment, but I am having to go from photos where the light isn't great, and some of them look the same. If anyone knows of a site where there are clear examples, please let me know.

There are a good selection / variety of images on the NBU site well worth a look at.

So vigilance should avoid it. Thanks. I'm brushing up on my bee diseases at the moment, but I am having to go from photos where the light isn't great, and some of them look the same. If anyone knows of a site where there are clear examples, please let me know.

WBKA gave all members a free disease recognition booklet last year, big T's now sell it - I sent one to Dusty, ask him for a lend of it.

That's great! Thanks :) We'll make a beekeeper of me yet ;)

Latest posts

Back