Snow in the USA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't bear the suspense: what trick? Please enlighten us non-cognoscenti

I think it's when you pour boiling water from a kettle and it freezes in an icicle before it hits the ground.
....or maybe it's not? ;)

Last edited:
We're supposed to be at 50˚F today, dropping into the teens this evening. Pouring rain at the moment and wind gusts 40-50 mph.
Power has gone off...thankfully we have a generator running at the moment.

We went from 60 F done to .3F in just a few hours on Thursday, high yesterday was 23F. But we were just on the edge of the storm and fortunately no wind or moisture. Got an email from someone who said one of their chickens was frozen to the ground!
Bees are just starting to fly as it is 47F and sunny.
Cool boiling water trick!

We're supposed to be at 50˚F today, dropping into the teens this evening. Pouring rain at the moment and wind gusts 40-50 mph.
Power has gone off...thankfully we have a generator running at the moment.
I read that there are 1.8 million people without power due to the storm. My prayers go out to them. I'm glad we are Off Grid with solar panels and have a nice wood stove.

I must admit I had to put on a jersey over my shirt when I set off to open the chapel this morning
When I first started work I had to cycle to the station. En route I crossed the A614 at a minor crossroads. Throughout the year summer and winter there was a stocky red haired guy waiting for a lift clad in a boiler suit open to the waist with bare chest on display. Brass monkey weather didn't seem to have any effect on him at all. Everyone else was wrapped up in top coats plus wearing scarves and hats. 🌨️

When I first started work I had to cycle to the station. En route I crossed the A614 at a minor crossroads. Throughout the year summer and winter there was a stocky red haired guy waiting for a lift clad in a boiler suit open to the waist with bare chest on display. Brass monkey weather didn't seem to have any effect on him at all. Everyone else was wrapped up in top coats plus wearing scarves and hats. 🌨️
I have a photograph somewhere, taken with an old mucker of mine (and now 'retired', chef and hobbyist bee fiddler) standing on the foredeck of one of Her (the old grabber was still alive then decades ago) Majesty's Customs Cutter Sentinel (lovingly called the Tirpitz) in the Kyles of Lochalsh with the snow capped Ben Nevis in the background, just before paying off for Christmas. Me (obviously a long long time ago, sans beard - waxed moustache and winter thermal gear, and Lum in T-shirt, shorts and deckshoes, the mode of dress he had vowed he would wear from the day we paid on August until when we paid off at the end of the year - happy days!...................
just before I got married

I have a photograph somewhere, taken with an old mucker of mine (and now 'retired', chef and hobbyist bee fiddler) standing on the foredeck of one of Her (the old grabber was still alive then decades ago) Majesty's Customs Cutter Sentinel (lovingly called the Tirpitz) in the Kyles of Lochalsh with the snow capped Ben Nevis in the background, just before paying off for Christmas. Me (obviously a long long time ago, sans beard - waxed moustache and winter thermal gear, and Lum in T-shirt, shorts and deckshoes, the mode of dress he had vowed he would wear from the day we paid on August until when we paid off at the end of the year - happy days!...................
just before I got married
Just searched for HM Sentinel online but reckon I found a successor vessel. The one I found didn't have sails.

Latest posts

Back