Smoker stolen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilybetbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had a 'visitor' to my garden yesterday, forced their way into 2 of my sheds - nothing to steal in either, lifted the roof on my stack of spare supers (which is next to my unfriendly bees - if they'd lifted that roof instead they would have soon gone).
My smoker was outside the back door where I leave it to cool and is the only thing that I can see is missing - so need to find myself a new one.
They did check out the big old jam pan that I melt wax in but left it on the path.

They will most likely come back at a later date . Thieves tend to - they know their way around it now.

I guessing a smoker and a jam pan could be used as drug paraphernalia.

Don't think they were after the bees, just opportunists.

Where did they gain access?

Almost a certainty that they will be back!

Possibly with a fully stoked & primed smoker!!!!

You are lucky .. My son and about 8 other people in the road he lives in in Sheffield had the lead sheeting off the roofs of their front bay windows stolen - in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday !! Terraced houses and the thieves apparently just went up the road with a flat bed transit and a ladder, dragged the sheets off the roofs and were gone in no time. He also had a a washing machine stolen from his back yard .. they prised the gate hinges out of the wall (it was padlocked) to get into the back yard. The washing machine was only outside because he had been relaying the floor in the kitchen.

Police gave him a crime reference and said it happened all the time, all over the city ... he's got 24 hour CCTV surveillance in his garden now.

Not that far from you ...

You are lucky .. My son and about 8 other people in the road he lives in in Sheffield had the lead sheeting off the roofs of their front bay windows stolen - in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday !! Terraced houses and the thieves apparently just went up the road with a flat bed transit and a ladder, dragged the sheets off the roofs and were gone in no time. He also had a a washing machine stolen from his back yard .. they prised the gate hinges out of the wall (it was padlocked) to get into the back yard. The washing machine was only outside because he had been relaying the floor in the kitchen.

Police gave him a crime reference and said it happened all the time, all over the city ... he's got 24 hour CCTV surveillance in his garden now.

Not that far from you ...

My sons live in S10, whereabouts were the thefts?

Had a 'visitor' to my garden yesterday, forced their way into 2 of my sheds - nothing to steal in either, lifted the roof on my stack of spare supers (which is next to my unfriendly bees - if they'd lifted that roof instead they would have soon gone).

Put a big sign on the roof of the unfriendly hive saying 'This Box contains valuable stuff' and let the idiots get on with it.

My sons live in S10, whereabouts were the thefts?

S11 Hunters Bar. The thieves returned about three weeks later and some people who had had new lead put on were robbed again !! The new lead my son had put on was thoroughly and very visibly nailed on and the video camera in his front bedroom with a notice saying they were being filmed meant they left his house alone ... disgraceful.

There are always scrap collectors going around the streets of Sheffield - which I don't mind ... but £400 to replace the lead roof that was nicked was a real annoyance.

S11 Hunters Bar. The thieves returned about three weeks later and some people who had had new lead put on were robbed again !! The new lead my son had put on was thoroughly and very visibly nailed on and the video camera in his front bedroom with a notice saying they were being filmed meant they left his house alone ... disgraceful.

There are always scrap collectors going around the streets of Sheffield - which I don't mind ... but £400 to replace the lead roof that was nicked was a real annoyance.

There used to be a pitch/fibre composite sheet material going by the trade name of British Nuralite, that could be used to replace Lead for building. It was fireproof and had zero scrap value.
I don't know if it is still available.

There used to be a pitch/fibre composite sheet material going by the trade name of British Nuralite, that could be used to replace Lead for building. It was fireproof and had zero scrap value.
I don't know if it is still available.

The original lead had been there since the house was built in 1913 - we know that as there was a scrap of newspaper left on the roof under where the lead had been .. so we're hoping the new lead will last as long - looks very nice. Some people had glassfibre laid to replace the stolen lead and one had roofing felt ... but .. neither are as good as lead. The new sheet was well let into the brickwork and spragged in the traditional way with folded lead wedges so I doubt it will come off as easily as the original ...

Thieving bar stewards ...

:icon_204-2:
Opportunist are everywhere, fell asleep on my way home on the train the other night, must've had my mouth open, fillings gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet they've no idea what the smoker is and not sure it will sell well!

There have been lots of dog thefts lately and I had a person of traveling origin trying to buy my spaniel last week for breeding from, My Russel bit his ankle when encouraged and he buggered off but hopefully cameras will catch the next visit.

There have been lots of dog thefts lately and I had a person of traveling origin trying to buy my spaniel last week for breeding from, My Russel bit his ankle when encouraged and he buggered off but hopefully cameras will catch the next visit.
Why does it matter what their 'origin' is? And why encourage your dog to bite them? Just curious.

Opportunist are everywhere, fell asleep on my way home on the train the other night, must've had my mouth open, fillings gone!

:icon_204-2:
You're showing your age,
Dentists don't use Mercury any more! :ohthedrama:

Why does it matter what their 'origin' is? And why encourage your dog to bite them? Just curious.

Did you not notice the "origins" of the poster??

Keep a welcome in the hillsides,

and an angry terrier for the tourists. :spy:

Back