Bee Shed antics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
In my Bee Yard...I have a Bee Shed.....well I say 'I' but the truth is that I can rarely even get more than a foot inside as my OH stores a load of 'Man Stuff' in there.....a strimmer....a bale of shavings....tools.....boxes of mystery items which must be kept. At the back of my Bee Shed is my smoker. I have been asking since November ...'Can you get the smoker out please?'
So yesterday was ...I will get the smoker out myself day.
I opened the door ....OMG....piles of Man Stuff greeted me....it all seemed to be joined at the hip to all the other stuff. Almost impossible to remove without dragging it all out in one piece! The air was getting mighty blue....
I trapped my fingers....broke some nails...bruised my knee...but eventually I could see the smoker...shiny bright at the back of the shed.....renewed efforts cleared a path. I lifted it in a blaze of triumph and turned to take it out...only to find my exit blocked by the pile of Man Stuff!!!! Arrrgh...
The whole exercise then had to be repeated to get it all back in the Bee Shed.
I know I made the mistake of letting him keep some things in there...but really?
I staggered out of the Bee Yard clutching the smoker only to realise that the steps I had bought to enable easy access to the Bee Yard to the garden were still leaning up against the house...and not fixed on the bank into the garden. More muttered curses as I heaved the smoker over the barbed wire onto the bank....I followed ...wishing I had longer legs....struggled up the slippery muddy grass. Phew ...I made it.
Now the two sides of salmon which I have salted and hung to dry can be smoked in time for Christmas.....but only if I can find the soldering iron which I bought last Xmas to keep the shavings burning....hey ho...bet my OH has hidden that away in HIS toolshed!

Ladies stuff and Mans stuff will just not mix together, man dumps stuff in and ladies place stuff neatly in labelled boxes.
two options, put all his stuff in the back of the shed and your's in the front, or buy him a new shed for Christmas so you can have the old one. I have two sheds one was a bit of a workshop and storing beekeeping bits, now I have another shed that was going to be only for garden tools but now it's full to the brim with beekeeping bits. I'm now looking at a third option of a larger shed with an upstairs storage area.
I'm not sure when it will all end lol

It sure is a dangerous game...when you start storing stuff!
My OH has a huge tool shed....it has a bench...with one of those clamping things, a ancient knife/tool sharpening thingy...which works...on the wall....shelves....and loads of storage boxes...and can you find anything...not on your nelly!...and THAT is why he is trying...and quite successfully I might add...to take over my Bee Shed.
I am resisting but it is an uphill struggle...I am handicapped by the access as the only safe way into the Bee Yard is via the orchard....the long way round....until the steps are fixed in place.
...but I have a cunning plan...

man dumps stuff in and ladies place stuff neatly in labelled boxes.
l

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Found the opposite is true - just spent all morning tidying up SWMBO's 'neatly labelled' stuff so I can stow the christmas goodies on the slat slab in the outhouse.

All my bee stuff is neatly stored in the garage - and labelled carefully - in my head.

Well.....fancy letting him anywhere near it

You are right...in a weak moment I gave him a corner to store a few bits....it was nearer to the house. I've been regretting it ever since.
The New Years resolution...is going to be ...a major clear out of the Bee Shed!
Only bee related items allowed.
On the upside...the salmon is almost ready for smoking. Whilst I have the smoker out I think I might do some smoked bacon too.
The last bacon I did...I used honey mixed with the preserving salt...it was really good...I would like to try it smoked too.

It's a corollary of Parkinsons Law ... Storage of stuff expands to fill the storage space available ...

I have the uncanny knack of knowing exactly where in the (apparently) completely uncoordinated piles of stuff in one double garage, two sheds, one single garage and a workshop, whatever it is that I want is stored.

Now ... I would be the first to admit that getting to it may, occasionally, present a few problems.

However, I have also found that the minute after you dispose of something you have been keeping 'because it will come in useful' ... it becomes needed !!

I think it's not just a man thing ... SWMBO has cupboards full of 'stuff' but her 'stuff' is necessary ... mine is junk ? How does that work ?

I sort of thought that giving the shed a name might give a clue as to contents...hmmm...not so.
It's really strange my OH is such a perfectionist...takes him ages to finish anything as it all has to be perfect...yet he is soooo untidy!
I long for a minimalist lifestyle ...my OH is a clutterer. Hence we have far too much 'stuff'. I think 2017 is going to be the 'Year of the Clearout'

In my Bee Yard...I have a Bee Shed.....well I say 'I' but the truth is that I can rarely even get more than a foot inside as my OH stores a load of 'Man Stuff' in there.....a strimmer....a bale of shavings....tools.....boxes of mystery items which must be kept. At the back of my Bee Shed is my smoker. I have been asking since November ...'Can you get the smoker out please?'
So yesterday was ...I will get the smoker out myself day.
I opened the door ....OMG....piles of Man Stuff greeted me....it all seemed to be joined at the hip to all the other stuff. Almost impossible to remove without dragging it all out in one piece! The air was getting mighty blue....
I trapped my fingers....broke some nails...bruised my knee...but eventually I could see the smoker...shiny bright at the back of the shed.....renewed efforts cleared a path. I lifted it in a blaze of triumph and turned to take it out...only to find my exit blocked by the pile of Man Stuff!!!! Arrrgh...
The whole exercise then had to be repeated to get it all back in the Bee Shed.
I know I made the mistake of letting him keep some things in there...but really?
I staggered out of the Bee Yard clutching the smoker only to realise that the steps I had bought to enable easy access to the Bee Yard to the garden were still leaning up against the house...and not fixed on the bank into the garden. More muttered curses as I heaved the smoker over the barbed wire onto the bank....I followed ...wishing I had longer legs....struggled up the slippery muddy grass. Phew ...I made it.
Now the two sides of salmon which I have salted and hung to dry can be smoked in time for Christmas.....but only if I can find the soldering iron which I bought last Xmas to keep the shavings burning....hey ho...bet my OH has hidden that away in HIS toolshed!

And thats how it should be Tremyfro, a sanctuary, a man cave. A place where you can put something down, know it will be there when you return. Its a mess, but yes, of course, its your mess and no one tell you otherwise! Give a man a shed and one electric plug and the world divorce rate would half overnight!!
Long live shed world

There is also the Attic and cupboard on top of the stairs, I have also claimed one of the kitchen cupboards to keep all my candle making stuff in

A girls' Bee Shed should be sacrosanct ....don't you think?
After all....he has a big toolshed...I never go rootling in there...only stand at the door in fear....mainly of the mice that are probably well established there....but also at the utter confusion.
My Bee Shed is not new.....I found it on Preloved....it is after the style of a Dutch barn. I dream of spending time in there but can barely get in the door!...not my bee stuff as it is neatly stashed at the back...but all the OH's clutter. Perhaps some of it might find its way onto the post Xmas bonfire....he he

I have two sheds (both full as it's winter)

Have just bought one of my son's a container as I'm fed up with finding car bits in the house
I may just sneak a small corner of it.....

I have a padlock on my shed in the apiary
The others are too full to sneak anything into

I've got a couple of large ex pig fattening sheds which started off empty when we moved in. Now about half of one contains chickens, with the other half rapidly filling with bee stuff and workshop use. Another one is converted to stabling and indoor wet weather exercise space.
No matter how much room you have to begin, one of the fundamental rules of existence is junk will expand to fill all available space. :rules:

Why not fatten a pig GJ ??

Too many East Riding farmers have seen their fortunes evaporate in that game. I'll leave that to the big boys and get the occasional pig that's suffered a broken leg or something similar so the bacon factory won't take it but apart from the injury there's bugger all wrong with the meat.

Shtummm :) :nono:

A girls' Bee Shed should be sacrosanct ....don't you think?
After all....he has a big toolshed...I never go rootling in there...only stand at the door in fear....mainly of the mice that are probably well established there....but also at the utter confusion.
My Bee Shed is not new.....I found it on Preloved....it is after the style of a Dutch barn. I dream of spending time in there but can barely get in the door!...not my bee stuff as it is neatly stashed at the back...but all the OH's clutter. Perhaps some of it might find its way onto the post Xmas bonfire....he he

you have a bee shed, he has a tool shed. obvious solution: his stuff gets dumped in the tool shed, your stuff stays in bee shed. after dumping, put padlock on bee shed and run for cover...

you have a bee shed, he has a tool shed. obvious solution: his stuff gets dumped in the tool shed, your stuff stays in bee shed. after dumping, put padlock on bee shed and run for cover...

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
If only I was brave enough.....but the sulking and moaning would go on forever.
However...you are right....he can shift his stuff(useful or not) into his tool shed.
New Year...New leaf turning.
Actually...I have just realised the shed already has a lock with a huge key....hmmm....I shall wait til he is out and then scuttle up with a wheelbarrow to empty my Bee Shed...turn the key in the lock and pocket it...ha ha the Bee Shed will be mine ..all mine. Gosh...I'm really looking forward to 2017 now.

Latest posts

Back