Smoker question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanrpwaacs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3-6
With the onset of some nice warm weather . I started thinking about the possible danger of a smoker fire in dry grass around apiaries . They do get rather hot . Would there be an alternative method ? Misting with water ect ? I know its unlikely that the grass will get so dry but you never know .

With the onset of some nice warm weather . I started thinking about the possible danger of a smoker fire in dry grass around apiaries . They do get rather hot . Would there be an alternative method ? Misting with water ect ? I know its unlikely that the grass will get so dry but you never know .

Yes, you could mist the grass with water to prevent it catching fire.

use an alcohol based sanitizer between hives from a pump dispenser,last week missed my hand and squirted the hot smoker lost its bellows before i got the fire out:blush5:

If you are worried, you can buy smoke liquid from Omlet, etc. Water it down in a spray bottle, and use that (on the bees, not the grass).

.....but not on top of a Polyhive.....!

+ 1 on the poly hives and smokers . Lesson learnt . I was meaning more of an alternative to a hot smoker . Im sure i read using a fine mist of water over the bees worked .

Stand the smoker on something that is unlikely to burn such as a metal hive roof, or if you want to put it on the ground get a thickish tile or a lump of stone to stand it on. If you put a hook on the back of the bellows you can either hang it over the side of the hive or hook it onto the hive stand.

I always top the smoker fuel with a bunch of grass to reduce the risk of sparks, which is probably more important with a poly hive.

Bees don't like getting wet, they don't deliberately go out in rain or mist, so I've always thought that spraying or misting them with water is a bit mean. It cools them down too, so they have to use up energy (food stores) to get dry and warm again.

Using a few puffs from a smoker means they mostly gather around the stores, which they refill as soon as the 'danger' has passed.

Maybe that is why some examiners want you to keep the smoker between your knees during the basic?

Maybe that is why some examiners want you to keep the smoker between your knees during the basic?

Probably the same clowns who put matches under the crownboards in winter and leave gaping great holes in the middle of them.

all my hives are in pairs, so I just put the smoker on the roof of the next one.

Talking of which - I reckon Redwood has aspiratons of becoming an examiner - talk about not moving with the times - caught him last Sunday trying to light a smoker with a flint and steel :D

+ 1 on the poly hives and smokers . Lesson learnt . I was meaning more of an alternative to a hot smoker . Im sure i read using a fine mist of water over the bees worked .

You can use water spray if you wish. Personally, only when the weather is very warm would it be my first choice but I have the smoker on standby anyway.
I also have a metal bucket to put the smoker in when it's finished. You could use one when working.
Cazza

With mainly poly hives, I have a flat tile (broken roof tile) that I set on the adjacent hive for my smoker to rest on. Easier than bending repeatedly to ground level to pick it up and set it down. Poly or not, I've never liked trying to hang the smoker on the hive wall.

I also routinely also have a water mister for inspections.
At my out apiary, I empty the smoker contents onto the tarmac, spread them out and spray them with water to ensure there is no fire risk. Spraying the hot smoker (outside), after emptying it, cools it down so it can be tied up in a plastic bag and avoid making the car 'smoky'.

....... avoid making the car 'smoky'.

Mmmmm....I stupidly forgot to bung the smoker after an inspection at one of my out apiaries today. 3 1/2 miles down the road I realised my mistake. Won't be doing that again. I think I remember seeing some dramatic pictures on here a while back of somebody's car a bit 'worse for wear' due to a smoker! At least my car is now only stinky rather than burnt out!

Latest posts

Back