Smoke!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northants_new

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some advice please from any wiser folk out there.

Whilst at work today, I have been advised that a neighbour has set fire to a mountain of old garden debris that he had been creating in the past 3 or 4 weeks.

This bonfire was around 30 meters from my hive but I am told that there was a lot of smoke which was engulfing the hive for a considerable period of time.

Any opinions on whether this would have a lasting impact on the well being of my bees?

I performed the first full inspection of the year on saturday. Perhaps doing that so close to them being smoked out was unfortunate timing.

thanks in advance for any opinions or any advice before I get to see the results later this evening.

Based on my experience with a neighbour who regularly burns his rubbish 5 metres from my hives (flames often 8 ft in the air) then you will not have any problems.

shouldn't be a problem although they may have been feeding off their stores just in case the perceived forest fire reached their hive!!
They certainly won't want tea!!

Latest posts

Back