Smith hive wall thickness

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e. fudd

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks,

I'm planning on making some smith hives over the coming months. The original plans state that the timber used should be 7/8ths thick (22mm), but, (considering I live in Ireland where it is nigh on impossible to purchase cedar) I plan on making them out of marine ply which only comes in 18mm or 25mm. My question is, will I get away with using 18mm or would the wall of the hive where I rebate for the frames be too thin then?

Does anybody know what thickness material is used in EH Thornes hives? I may end up purchasing some supers etc. in the future from them and would like them to be interchangeable with the hives I make.

Thankyou!

Hi folks,

I'm planning on making some smith hives over the coming months. The original plans state that the timber used should be 7/8ths thick (22mm), but, (considering I live in Ireland where it is nigh on impossible to purchase cedar) I plan on making them out of marine ply which only comes in 18mm or 25mm. My question is, will I get away with using 18mm or would the wall of the hive where I rebate for the frames be too thin then?

Does anybody know what thickness material is used in EH Thornes hives? I may end up purchasing some supers etc. in the future from them and would like them to be interchangeable with the hives I make.

Thankyou!

18mm marine ply instead of 22mm cedar is going to be hard on your bees. Marine Ply has about double the thermal conductance compared to cedar and then you are going to make it thinner!

18mm marine ply instead of 22mm cedar is going to be hard on your bees. Marine Ply has about double the thermal conductance compared to cedar and then you are going to make it thinner!

Yes, that's correct.

Would you not just use spruce, cheap/easy to get and will last a lifetime if treated

Would you not just use spruce, cheap/easy to get and will last a lifetime if treated

I'd love to use spruce, but will I be able to get it in wide enough boards and if so where? I don't really want to go joining boards if possible...

I'd love to use spruce, but will I be able to get it in wide enough boards and if so where? I don't really want to go joining boards if possible...

You will get 225x18 mm nearly anywhere but you will need to stick a 5mm strip on the bottom because 9" isn't actually 9". Should be about €12 for 16 foot lengths

Latest posts

Back