Showing honey (timing)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I've put some (std light honey) to one side for showing. Is it best to extra filter and jar now or leave until say 2 weeks before the show?

double filter and jar straight away also make sure both jars have same numbers on them, take clean lids with you to the show and replace lids so no honey in on the inside of the lid

i was told by somebody who judges at shows to never put the clean lids on the day of the show,and to do it a good while before to let the smell of the honey to build up inside the jar so when the judge opens it he gets a real good smell of it?
any truth in this?
Darren

I've put some (std light honey) to one side for showing. Is it best to extra filter and jar now or leave until say 2 weeks before the show?[/QUOTE

I always overfill the jars after a couple of days settling gently skim off the air bubbles with a spoon
and polish the outside off the jar just a touch of meths/Spirit puts a real shine on them a couple of days before the show then give them a good rub on show day and if possible show them on a small white doyley presentation is all you can do, the bees have done the hard work.

Darren ... that's certainly one of the tricks the experts use. I seem to pick up one new hint a year ... meaning it'll take about 35 years until I'm any good at showing honey :rolleyes:

And the effort involved in successfully showing wax makes honey a doddle :)

Darren ... that's certainly one of the tricks the experts use. I seem to pick up one new hint a year ... meaning it'll take about 35 years until I'm any good at showing honey :rolleyes:

And the effort involved in successfully showing wax makes honey a doddle :)

I could not agree more the satisfaction of a red card and the blue ribbon on your wax WOW! And it should be displayed in finger proof cases the number I have had spoilt on the show bench why do people have to touch, When I first started showing you were allowed to Exhibit wax in display cases and this gave it the protection it deserves, It soon spoils the thrill when you see the finger nail marks.

double filter and jar straight away also make sure both jars have same numbers on them, take clean lids with you to the show and replace lids so no honey in on the inside of the lid

I was under the impression that judges are now instructed to ignore the numbers on the bottom of jars due to difficulties in getting a run of them with identical numbering. Can anyone comment?

As a senior BBKA honey judge I can shed a little light on all this. The jars and lid must be of the same type ie same manufacturer (they vary slightly between manufacturers with respect to the shoulders of the jar and the "pimple" support ring under the bottom of the jar). We do not look or care about mould numbers. It is not a good idea to change lids at the show as not only do you lose some of the aroma that has built up since bottling but also risk getting dust, skin flakes and even the odd eyelash/eyebrow hair etc on the surface of the honey. The honeyshow venue is never as clean as most peoples kitchens. We allow for travel splash on the lid so do not penalise entries with honey on the inside of the lid. I have never come across a show which allows honey to be exhibited on small white doylies. There must not be a difference between how honey and wax entries are displayed between exhibitors as this might indicate to the judge whose entries they are.

If anyone has any other queries regarding exhibiting or judging honey I am quite happy to answer them

Last edited:
fill (overfill) well before show.
leave on windowsill for bubbles to rise then remove them from top (skim/prick).
same make jars/lids but jar numbers don't need to match. However try and chose similar looking/shaped jars!
put lids on at least several days before show.
judges should ignore transit issues (honey on inside of lid) BUT will reject if threads sticky.

Latest posts

Back