should there be more?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well to be honest, i am now at the stage that i wish i hadnt got the bl00dy things - free or otherwise. they have 'cost' me a great deal - time, extra equipment, sleepless sodding nights and endless research and reading!

i have had 2 kids and i have to say there were both a whole lot less stressful than this last month of my life.

i feel like crying. everything i do, someone criticises and today when i took the bl00dy super off, someone (bee-smillie) flew off into the skies.....and of course, i have decided it will be her flighty friggin majesty! if there is one of course.....

maybe if i'm 'lucky' they'll all bu**er off to someone else's hive and i can maybe start knitting - has to be easier.

when i took the bl00dy super off, someone (bee-smillie) flew off into the skies......

If it was a biggish loud bee going skywards, it's likely to have been a drone, they tend to do that sometimes....

The thing to do, is not despair, but as has been said by others, beg borrow or steal a test frame, get it in the hive and 3 - 4 days later, it will tell you what you need to know.....

once that is established, then you can decide on a course of action.

even if a colony is queenless (which to be honest, sounds likely in your case) it can with some care be brought round.

to be honest, most of us in the early days have made monumental cock ups, even tho some will never admit it.... not saying you HAVE cocked up, just that most of us have been in situations where a colony has gone pear shaped whilst in our care....

So, chin up!

Phone Thornes at Newburgh and ask to speak to Brian. As a favour ask him for a frame of open brood. He may or may not be able to assist. Or and may be able to suggest someone closer to you who can help.

PH

BabyBee,
I'd agree that you should try and keep positive about this, despite the unknowns and problems. It's really much easier to do that with a bee-buddy of some sort. More experienced the better, clearly, but most important is that they will turn up often and share the worries/joys, rather than leave you to cope alone. Pair up with anyone keen at your local BKA, whether they are experienced or not.

Email buddies are better than no buddies, if they're keen and helpful (and respond often). Two kind beekeepers on this forum Mentor me from a long way away and I've found it very helpful indeed.

Last is to use this forum instead - lots of good advice and experience, but ideas will vary from person to person about lots of bits and that won't help you when you're struggling with something.

So, get a real person buddy, or an email buddy/Mentor and then you can approach the real problems as a small team, rather than a castaway.

Hope that helps. I'm nowhere near you, nor experienced, but will offer help if you want it. You should probably aim a bit higher though ;-)

FG

You're new to beekeeping and maybe weren't to know that what you were given was perhaps not worth giving in the first place. This person wasn't doing you a favour.

Back