Sheet material non wood for clearer boards.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I moved some supers around today and the clearer boards they sit on over winter to keep the vermin out are past their best.

I was in a DIY shed today to buy a small (ish) bit of ply to be the base of a router sled and the prices are not funny at all. So...

What alternate materials have you tried for clearer boards and please note not fume boards or other methods, just clearer boards.

PH

Maisemore have perspex cover boards for about £5 this weekend. Fit a rim and an escape?

Or if you look out, there are a few pallets about made of low quality 18mm ply. If it's only for clearer boards then you should be ok to use them, fit rim and escape as above.

Assuming they are used for just a few weeks of the year,and in relatively good weather I've made a couple from deceased chipboard furniture.Treat the edges with preservative or paint
Not had one decompose yet.
.Virtually zero cost as it can be found lying in the front gardens of most properties on you local council estate.

Ok some ideas there but I am looking for non wood ideas as my boards double as on the ground protectors for super and brood stacks in the apiary.

PH

I have a couple of crown boards which I use in emergencies, made from 4mm correx which would not be strong enough with just a thin rim but all my crown boards have a 8mm rim on one side and a 50mm rim on the other so I can use as an eke when feeding fondant.
The 50mm also allows them to be used as a clearer board with the addition of a rhombus clearer.
I would therefore suggest making a 50mm eke with a correx road sign/estate agents board sandwiched with a 8mm edge. I would halve a rhombus clearer and fix, with glue or small bolts, over holes made in opposite corners.

OSB3 - waterproof.v-range of thicknesses.
Wickes have best prices.
Just bought 4mm clear sheet - full sheet 2.2m x0.6m £15 Facebook Markeplace

Last edited:
Ok some ideas there but I am looking for non wood ideas as my boards double as on the ground protectors for super and brood stacks in the apiary.

PH
I use correx for various jobs, an 8 x 4 sheet of 4mm correx comes in at about £5 and cuts up to make 10 national footprints, wont rot (apart from if its left in the sun) but does "sweat" a bit as it doesn't breath.

Latest posts

Back