• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling national hive... advice wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrothefish

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Due to a very allergic reaction to a sting last year, my "bottle" has gone,I have gone back several times but I didnt enjoy it,so I am selling all my stuff.
I have a national hive with 3 supers obviously second hand and there a traces of the wax moth damage, but not on all of it.
Brood frames and super frames are fitted with new wax foundation so the hive is ready to go, all it needs are bees.
can someone give an idea as to how much to ask?

236 views and not one person offered any help, so much for the friendly help and banter.
Ebay is the place to sell your stuff not here.

I would be interested Pedro but its a bit far for me unless you come this way? The nearest I get is Farnborough. An indication of what your looking for money wise would possibly help. Also what are your hives made of?

ATB H

As you are a fan of e-bay look on there to see what sort of price they go for. Maybe give a little more info is it cedar/ply/softwood how old etc.
Also why are you selling it without bees what happened to them?

I picked up a national hive with 2 supers and all frames and wax, plus a large feeder,smoke fuel and mouse guard and varroa treatment for £85

Ive also just bought (today) a flat pack build yourself cedar national x 2 supers, complete for £170

so somewhere inbetween the two prices,
of course it all depends if anyone wants it, plus collection

236 views and not one person offered any help, so much for the friendly help and banter.
Well, I understand your frustration, but so much depends on a) where you're located - and that can't be seen without viewing your post, and b) what condition the hive is in.
A more detailed description and a couple of photographs would have helped people make a judgement about value. The hive could be in pristine condition, or could have splits and rot etc., or could be anywhere in-between. Without any means of knowing the condition, a value is just guesswork.

That may well be true, but to place an advert on Ebay you'll need to advise your location, describe the hive's condition, and to stand any chance of selling, you'll need to include a photograph or two.

Why not try uploading a couple of pics here before resorting to Ebay ?

Last edited:
:iagree: You know it makes sense;)

The whole point, perhaps!

You ask for advice, but you are obviously selling and appear to have had very few posts on the forum during your active period of bee keeping. You don't find that your reaction is less than what you seem to expect from others.

You don't indicate how many colonies you have, so this may be your only hive and is patently without bees at the moment.

You may be right, EBay is the place to sell without any community contribution being expected. Good luck with your next hobby venture, I don't suppose that the weather this year helped you at all.

why did it take a moan and groan to generate any replies? thanks to you all for the replies.
If I had these replies I could have entered into dialogue to find out what to charge.
I did sell the hive on ebay and got £82.00,which I was happy with, a nice guy came and collected it and paid cash
so good luck to all you beekeepers may your supers be full.

why did it take a moan and groan to generate any replies?

Maybe people didn't see it? It could have hit the site at a busy time. And while I read most things, I didn't see it before...

hi ratcatcher its a good job I didnt slag you off!! I hope all is going well at the hives. As for the extractor very pleased.

Latest posts

Back