Selling honey through shops

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you extract and bottle your honey without handling it.....??
It's needed for both.
This may clarify things for a few of you.
http://bridgendbeekeepers.co.uk/Doc...ument-Food-Hygiene-for-Beekeepers-12-1-14.pdf

Simplified it says
Food Hygiene Law
All food businesses required to comply with suite of
food hygiene law which ensures high level of
consumer protection with regard to food safety e.g.
• Food Safety Act 1990
• Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006
• EC Regulation 852/2004
• General Food Regulations 2004

Of course non of this applies to anyone in Cornwall/ wry grin/

Last edited:
The star rating is only require for sellers of food for immediate consumption Beefieburghers crabbie sandwichies etc etc in Cornwall.
I checked!!!
:rules:
AND Devon....

BUT all of the prestigious huge shows that we do require to see certification of Food Hygiene/ Kitchen processing bottling labeling Product liability Public liability... risk assessment.. the list goes on.... etc etc.:calmdown:

and also now even will check that your fire extinguisher is in date and of the correct type!

We won the Royal Cornwall Show Food & Farming Best Farmer Producer award at last years show ( 2019) for our Honey and honeybee products and we did not have a sticker showing the star rating as it was not required.

The Stand next to us selling Beefie burghers etc ( Fast Food to be consumed immediately) had to show theirs!!

Best advice is to contact your local councils AND ASK !!

Chons da

How do you extract and bottle your honey without handling it.....??
It's needed for both.
This may clarify things for a few of you.
http://bridgendbeekeepers.co.uk/Doc...ument-Food-Hygiene-for-Beekeepers-12-1-14.pdf

Simplified it says
Food Hygiene Law
All food businesses required to comply with suite of
food hygiene law which ensures high level of
consumer protection with regard to food safety e.g.
• Food Safety Act 1990
• Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006
• EC Regulation 852/2004
• General Food Regulations 2004

Of course non of this applies to anyone in Cornwall/ wry grin/

We have a letter from Cornwall Council Environmental Health stating that we are registered with Environmental health and Trading Standards and because they rate us as low risk honey producers ( ie our production area is meat and fish free, diary free and soil free) We are not required to have an annual site visit provided that we can provide evidence of our up to date Food Hygiene., Industry Certification and insurances.

We do have to provide copies of our risk assessments and "Best Practices" and show "Due Diligence"

We now have to list "allergens" on all of our products!
( May contain nut pollen!!)

We do not get a "sticker" with stars on it as we do not come under that particular scheme..... as we are not providing food ( particularly high risk food) for immediate consumption.

Speaking to other Professional Beefarmers it seems that Cornwall is not alone in not requiring "Star rating stickers" for honey sellers.

But I expect the " hairsplitters" will continue to put out misinformation.

Chons da

Interesting comment from our registered OFQAL Food Safety in Catering registered practitioner.... on using and selling wax wraps.

Not to be used in our honey production kitchen as can not be steralised..... use clingfilm.

If selling wax wraps, customers must be made aware of the products limitations.

We are not required to have an annual site visit provided that we can provide evidence of our up to date Food Hygiene., Industry Certification and insurances.
a

No low risk food business anywhere in the UK requires an annual inspection, thought you would have known that. It used to be an inspection every three years but has now been replaced by a questionnaire.
God knows what goes on in Cornwall.

I would personally advise anyone to contact "their" local environmental health dept and ask the experts rather than rely on some very dodgy advice given on an internet forum.

In previous years I have sold in bulk with very few questions asked but have started selling jars to local farm shops, again with very few questions asked.
To be on the safe side and due to advice from others, I registered a couple of weeks ago as a food producing business and had a visit from my district council trading standards last week. Part of the advice to register was that they look more favourably on producers who register before they start selling rather than those they find with produce in shops but no registration.

The visit was very straightforward, talked through a questionnaire including a HACCP plan and procedures (new or re-used jars, storage, heating temperature etc.) I have just completed an on-line Level 2 Food Hygiene Manufacturing course so had that certificate to hand. She did a quick visual inspection of the domestic premises, made a couple of comments about re-use of buckets and thermometer calibration.

The document I based my HACCP on was the one attached below. If you need a word version best option would be to google the document name. The inspector had her own blank copy as she had seen it before and was going to recommend it if I didn't have one in place.

I got the impression that she was looking for everything to be within guidelines rather than looking for problems/pedantic following of rules.

I received a letter with the inspection findings (5*) but no window sticker :(. The letter states that the next visit will be in March 2023

Attachments

• haccp-plan-for-honey-production-uk-blank (1).pdf
    701.2 KB · Views: 41
No low risk food business anywhere in the UK requires an annual inspection, thought you would have known that. It used to be an inspection every three years but has now been replaced by a questionnaire.
God knows what goes on in Cornwall.

I would personally advise anyone to contact "their" local environmental health dept and ask the experts rather than rely on some very dodgy advice given on an internet forum.

Which is why I quoted Neath/Port Talbot regarding registering with TS. Selling from gate, exempt. Oddly, if only supplying a local shop, exempt.
It was pretty much the same advice given by TS and EH at an association evening a couple of years back. They both agreed honey was low risk and treated as such.
Bridgend is even more relaxed.

Precisely!

I would also add your Products and Public liability insurers and of course your local Trading Standards department.

Chons da

Latest posts

Back