Selling at market - bags?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmys Mum

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quick question please........Can I ask those who sell their honey at farmers markets, is there an expectation that you provide a carrier bag for the honey? I have my first one next week and am clueless :willy_nilly:
If so, what sort of size? I've been looking online to buy some bags and the smallest bags seem to be much too big for a single jar.
Thanks
JM

I'm pretty sure that most folk attending farmers' markets take their own bag(s), in my wife's case a large canvas Waitrose job.

Just got back from a market and some people expect a bag, some don't. I give a brown paper one if asked for.
S

...If so, what sort of size? I've been looking online to buy some bags and the smallest bags seem to be much too big for a single jar...
Some expect a bag, some don't. The cheapest flimsy bags I found are about 6 quid for 500 inc post for blue or white. They are bigger than a jar would justify, enough room for an unfolded A4 sheet. Anything smaller tends to be "boutique" and costs considerably more. Only worth considering imho if you're into "gift" territory and then if you have the volume to put a design on it.

Hi, at my last market I bought a batch of little white paper bags with string handles at 40p each and made gift bags up. Some with two jars of 12oz different coloured honey and a notebook with a bee page marker and others with one 16 oz jar and glasses with bees on them.....a few quid each from john Lewis. Sold the bags for £12 each ....went like hot cakes and have phone calls for more!
Have a nice clean table, white cloth, no sticky jars, if you are selling any honey foods such as fudge or honey cake have gloves. Have tasters with plastic spoons or wooden tasting sticks, cup for clean and cup for dirty! Take a frame of honey if you have a nice clean one so that you can show people where it comes from. The kids love a spoon straight from the comb! If your stall looks clean and you are willing to talk to people as they pass then you will sell loads. My opening line is ..... Do you like honey? If they say no then bet them they will ike yours, if they say yes then tell them this honey is the best they will have ever tasted and is local too! Go for it! Good luck
E

Quick question please........Can I ask those who sell their honey at farmers markets, is there an expectation that you provide a carrier bag for the honey? I have my first one next week and am clueless :willy_nilly:
If so, what sort of size? I've been looking online to buy some bags and the smallest bags seem to be much too big for a single jar.
Thanks
JM

In the days when I did not receive the livable wage as a teacher, we sold honey in 1lb jars ( bit messy loose in a bag!)
Mother used to tie a string handle around the jar top so that the jar could be carried.

James

In the days when I did not receive the livable wage as a teacher, we sold honey in 1lb jars ( bit messy loose in a bag!)
Mother used to tie a string handle around the jar top so that the jar could be carried.

James

I use brown paper bags with handles. I get them from Bookers -cost about £5 for 100. They look like small takeaway bags

Thin brown paper without handles arnt much for customers use I found, they want to be able to carry it easily.

I use brown paper bags with handles. I get them from Bookers -cost about £5 for 100. They look like small takeaway bags

Think this might tick the box nicely Roachman. Would prefer not to use plastic if possible.

Thanks for all the advice - love the gift bag ideas. I already do the 2 x 12oz jars in a hessian gift bag but the 'bee glass' idea appeals. I have some of those glasses at home - they are lovely. I' did make some candles to put into a gift bag with a jar of honey.....sadly my wicks keeps drowning though. I've got the wick sizes recommended so I reckon the wax might still have traces of honey in so will need to try washing and filtering the wax again! Darn it!

Gave up on candles years ago. Never could get it right,
E

Gave up on candles years ago. Never could get it right,
E

Yes, I did read your previous postings on that whilst doing a forum search on candle making. I have the same sort of issues! I will have to persevere for a little longer seeing as I've bought all the gear now! ;)

I have been experimenting with candles recently and have found that most of the moulds I use need a larger wick than that recommended - up to double the size. As the best shape for any candle is a cylinder, few of the novelty shaped candles are going to burn properly all the way down. A lot of the people who buy my candles say they are not going to burn them as they are so beautiful. It's a lovely compliment, but a bit of a dead end for me.

A lot of the people who buy my candles say they are not going to burn them as they are so beautiful. It's a lovely compliment, but a bit of a dead end for me.

Sell them in nice little packets - wax moth included

Think this might tick the box nicely Roachman. Would prefer not to use plastic if possible.

Thanks for all the advice - love the gift bag ideas. I already do the 2 x 12oz jars in a hessian gift bag but the 'bee glass' idea appeals. I have some of those glasses at home - they are lovely. I' did make some candles to put into a gift bag with a jar of honey.....sadly my wicks keeps drowning though. I've got the wick sizes recommended so I reckon the wax might still have traces of honey in so will need to try washing and filtering the wax again! Darn it!

Beeswax needs different (larger) wick sizes than the more common paraffin wax, because it has a higher melting point - are you using the correct wick sizes for beeswax?

Yes, I did read your previous postings on that whilst doing a forum search on candle making. I have the same sort of issues! I will have to persevere for a little longer seeing as I've bought all the gear now! ;)

Hav a look at 4candles. They have sample packs of wick. NT wicks are the ones they use for beeswax.

Beeswax needs different (larger) wick sizes than the more common paraffin wax, because it has a higher melting point - are you using the correct wick sizes for beeswax?

Think so, was advised whilst in the Thornes shop. Using 1 1/2 - 2" zinc core wick for tealight sized candles.

I checked on the remains of the wax which I had poured into an old margarine tub. When I popped the wax block out today there was a pool of honey underneath so I think the wax really needed more washing and filtering. I read that the wick will clog if the wax isn't really well cleaned. So it's been melted in water again today ready for melting and filtering again tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for a better burn tomorrow! I have til Wednesday to produce the perfect candle!

We've pretty well stopped giving out carrier bags at C0nwy Honey Fair now. I sold about 240 jars there this year and hardly anyone asked for a bag. The 5p bag tax in Wales has dramatically reduced the use of one-trip carrier bags. We no longer see "witches knickers" hanging from the trees in supermarket car parks.

If you go with brown paper bags it may be worth getting a cheap rubber or wooden stamp of a bee and an ink pad (couple of quid on eBay) and stamping each bag so customers are advertising your presence at the market

Latest posts

Back