Sealed Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyww

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have a hive with 2 very heavy supers, its usual for the bee's not to have capped the bottom 15% of the frames.

I'm hopping to extract soon, next couple of weeks, should I extract these frames or leave them?

Thanks.

If it's only the bottom fifteen percent you'll be fine, even if it is not yet ripe. Quite possibly though, if you give it a shake and none drops out its ripe enough, just your bees are a little bit lazy :)

Last edited:
Ok thanks, these one's are pretty hard working to be honest, I think some of my others might be diabetic, given what they've accomplished so far.... :)

Remember when it is all mixed together it evens out so 85 percent below the water limit and 15 percent that may be slightly above it will usually be fine. I take a reading from uncapped honey before I extract. A refractometer is worth its weight in gold!!
E

You could wait a week and look, what has happened to frames.
Unsealed means that they still fill the frames.

Have you put more supers, where bees store nectar?

Remember when it is all mixed together it evens out so 85 percent below the water limit and 15 percent that may be slightly above it will usually be fine. I take a reading from uncapped honey before I extract. A refractometer is worth its weight in gold!!
E

Thank goodness the legal limit is 20% water (with exceptions for heather [and others] at 23 %)...I've never ever had honey at 15% water. Most of this springs honey is around 18% water...and yes I do calibrate my refractometer annually...

We got no OSR this year but last year the OSR was 16-18% and completely uncapped when I extracted at the end of the flowering period. If left we would have lost it as it was on the point of starting to crystallise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back