Scorching hives revisited

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curley

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been scorching some kit donated by a kind widow of a newbie beekeeper.

Basically a 14x12 with stand, super (1) looks like it has never had honey in it.
A few frames only one of which looked used, a roof, couple of crown boards, dummy boards and a QX.

I've ditched the used frame. Then flamed the boxes, qx, crown boards , floor and dummy boards. Prior to flaming I scraped what propolis and wax there was off.

Questions are - do you flame the roof or any part of it? What about the stand?
And even after careful scraping there was traces of wax/propolis which bubbled away and did not scorch to the same colour underneath. What's the correct policy here, do I rescrape and reflame? And what about the corners? Seems very difficult to get in there without heavy charring on either side (IYSWIM)?

Happily done this on my own kit a few times and not having had disease, never given it a lot of thought and perhaps wasn't as thorough as I would like to be with this gift horse.

Any thoughts / advice welcome.

Quick phone call to you SBI and ask if he/she ever inspected that colony and is their a risk of disease from that area... I scorch inside the roofs and anything that has been near bees... including my fingers!!!

Nos da

Thanks guys - I've emailed the SBI and will scorch inside the roof.

Quick phone call to you SBI and ask if he/she ever inspected that colony and is their a risk of disease from that area... I scorch inside the roofs and anything that has been near bees... including my fingers!!!

Nos da

If the hive has diseases, they are in combs, and not "near the bees" or in hive stands and in walls.

Latest posts

Back