Scent of hawthorn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawthorne flow was like a one night stand here in mid pembs. Over in a flash a few days ago. Shame.

Rowan in full flower looking spectacular, have about 25 trees in our small wood plus several mature large hollies covered in flowers and humming so loud yesterday I thought a swarm was imminent. Both my colonies at home are queenless as been cell raising, so not sure if they will fly as urgently to collect forage as when queenright? Both have capped cells, waiting for emergence. Anyone know?

The rowan in my front garden's completely gone over - didn't see a single bee on it when it was in flower.
I've got a large Kolkwitzia in the back garden that looks stunning, plenty of bumbles on it but very few honeybees despite it being ~3m from my hives.

Yes so have I. Have you seen narcotised bumbles underneath as well?
I had amazing flow on lime avenue two years ago - just the sound of bees foraging first thing in a summer morning sets you up for the day! Last year nothing but conditions were rubbish. Looks good for this year but the weather is so unpredictable. Lots of hawthorn around here but not a honeybee to be seen. Out today enjoying the white clover, cow parsley and even buttercups.

Hawthorne flow was like a one night stand here in mid pembs. Over in a flash a few days ago. Shame.
I went to clear an apiary this afternoon but the muggy warmth brought on the flow and there was an abundance of fresh nectar falling from the frames so had to postpone.

One or two bushes are looking a bit pinkish and raggedy but some have another flush of petals and are looking more like a vibrant white plump feather pillow with quite a bit more to give.
Brambles have leapt forward after the recent rain but still some way off yielding anything by my estimation.
June gap to start in four or five days in the river valley and a week later in the hills my crystal ball is suggesting.
I'm busy preparing everything for several hundred supers to come in, get spun out and go back out, half term a week too early here for the boys to be much help 😓
The crystal ball was a day off, June gap has completely obviously started yesterday here in the lower teifi valley

The crystal ball was a day off, June gap has completely obviously started yesterday here in the lower teifi valley
It's finished in the valley here but the bees higher up are still enjoying it. 16234065697567215159928101861523.jpg.
It's a solitaire tree but there is loads more

Reactions: mbc
On the way through the lanes to the apiary today Kim and I were looking about at what was in flower.

And the answer was not a lot! The Hawthorne has finished in the hedgerows as has the Holly in the forest.

The colonies had clearly slowed down when we arrived and looking in they seemed to have turned most of the flow into brood with not a lot of stores evident. Still nothing in the supers.

So we will have to see if there will be a summer flow for us and the feeders are going on to the swarms we caught last week and some of the splits as they have nothing in them at all.

I cant quite make it out, is it dog rose?
No it’s hawthorn. We have masses of it here and when it’s gone over the odd bush has a pink blush to the petals. This year they are all like that some even redder than this one. Strange year

Yes, we're in the June gap. Temp here today 24C with light wind. Hawthorn/horsechestnut/sycamore/OSR well finished. Bramble/lime not started.
Bees in main and out-apiary could scarcely be bothered to flap their wings......
Bumbles going mad on salvias in the garden.

Yes, we're in the June gap. Temp here today 24C with light wind. Hawthorn/horsechestnut/sycamore/OSR well finished. Bramble/lime not started.
Bees in main and out-apiary could scarcely be bothered to flap their wings......
Definitely Gap here too
The bumbles here are hopping from poppy to poppy but the most popular thing is the Beech. The trees and hedges are sticky with honeydew. They hum all day and into the night.
Clover is out in our field, smelling quite intoxicating and I'm hopeful the surrounding fields were cut early enough for the flowers to be through. Bramble and Rosebay on its way

Poor Spring harvest due to no OSR and the weather, but the honey I have is the lightest zingiest I have had so far. Not a trace of crystals and runny honey is usually scarce here, so well chuffed.
No sign of a June gap either. Being on the edge of town the bees have decided to change tactic and are all now flying to the gardens.

I'm not. Hawthorn still going, horse chestnut just coming on and sycamore somewhere in between. the bramble looks promising up here. Where the wild flowers are left alone ,not cut or otherwise eaten, there seems to be more this year.

Interested about your comment - bees could barely be bothered to flap their wings…is this cos they are hungry? I have a fair amount of stores in the super but bees were very quiet on inspection this weekend?

Latest posts

Back