scales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
i have at home a set of avery electronis shop scales, big heavy duty things.

the question is i would like to ere on the side of caution and get them tested and calibrated by the weights and measures people at the council.

do i take them to them or do they house visit and what sort of costs are we looking at to get them certified??

Avery used to come around every six monts to test and certificate ours... we were in the diving air cylinder testing business and had to accurately weigh the bottles as part of the testing.

They charged for it, but I believe you could get the weights and measures man in for free when the weighing machine was not portable... that was around 1996 in Surrey before we sold the business on!
Things may have changed... phone them!

For sales, do they have to have a certificate, or merely be able to pass the test when the inspector pops his test weights on the scale?

Advice by West Yorkshire Trading Standards is that it is best that to have your scales professionaly maintained and that they should be officially stamped as accurate. I quote:

"Use for trade means any determination of weight, length area or capacity upon which the price charged is calculated.
Virtually all trade equipment is required to bear a stamp or mark to show that it is suitable and accurate. The stamp comprises a crown, a number. & the year
Some weighing equipment may have an EC verification mark, which is the “CE” mark and a black “M” on a green background
Weights and scales intended for kitchen use are not stampable and thus cannot be used for trade purposes.
The Crown stamp can be found:
• on the bottom of a weight
• by the 1cm mark on a metre stick or tape measure
• on lead plugs on a weighing machine
The EC verification mark can be found:
• as stickers applied to a weighing machine
• printed on the chassis of the weighing Machine
Generally, it is wise to have weighing equipment maintained by a competent
scale firm.
If an officer finds the equipment outside the permitted tolerances he will reject it by obliterating the stamp with a sixpointed star. It then is an offence to use the equipment before it is repaired and restamped.
It is also an offence to use equipment which is seriously inaccurate."

Presumably this is in addition to any offence of selling over or under weight goods.

Last edited:
yep this is what i thought, i know damm all about scales

lying bathroom scales excepted of course!!!!!!!!!!!!

now , where do i go with this idea then.

in my mind i think i should take them either to avery which have an office near by or a scale menders place and ask for them to be set up properly.

whilst i can ever see every single beekeeper in the uk having top dog scales i think the out lay of a hundred quid( what do you think) is better.

in all my years i have never once had a jar weighed or checked, but since i have the scales may be i should do it.

i must admit i do want to lift the beekeeing game of mine to get a better outcome

Pete

You said that scales were "shop scales" so do they have a crown mark on them already? If so all you need do is have them checked. I'd speak to my local TSO, they'd probably check them for free.

Latest posts

Back