Sad, confused and lost the plot completely.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
During last autumn/winter I managed to get the bees down to one box and moved them away after a few years of keeping them at home.
I have been caring for my husband who has recently died, and have not given the bees the amount of attention that I would normally do and this, plus the confusion after this morning's visit, lead me to ask for some ideas and advice.
I did a first inspection around the middle of March. All seemed well and the same a couple of weeks later. As soon as the OSR started to flower at home I dashed over and added a super and then a week after, a second one, as the first seemed mostly capped.
Today I looked in to find very little in the second super and took some time to watch carefully. Something I normally enjoy, but with everything that's happened recently I haven't done at all this year. I realised that they aren't bringing in any OSR. Only pale yellow pollen and no yellow heads at all. This is completely new to me. I realise that there really isn't any OSR planted anywhere near the hives and I feel pretty stupid for not noticing this before. I am one of those who really likes OSR and I'm very used to dealing with it as I live surrounded by the stuff. My main question is what should I do now? Should I take the honey when the OSR finishes flowering as I normally would, or can I leave it on and hope for honey later in the year?
I shook a couple of frames and it's not at all ready at the moment. I'm happy to leave it as I'm really busy with funeral arrangements and all the sad stuff that needs dealing with, but I don't want to neglect my bees or end up with supers full of solid honey, so I shall make time to spin it out if necessary.
Sorry to sound so pathetic and indecisive. I just stood in the field watching and thinking I didn't have a clue what to do for the best. I wish I hadn't moved them away now, but I did so I need to make a plan fairly soon as flowering is nearly over.
All and any advice will be gratefully received. I'm not usually so muddle headed with the bees but I don't know what to do for the best today.

During last autumn/winter I managed to get the bees down to one box and moved them away after a few years of keeping them at home.
I have been caring for my husband who has recently died, and have not given the bees the amount of attention that I would normally do and this, plus the confusion after this morning's visit, lead me to ask for some ideas and advice.
I did a first inspection around the middle of March. All seemed well and the same a couple of weeks later. As soon as the OSR started to flower at home I dashed over and added a super and then a week after, a second one, as the first seemed mostly capped.
Today I looked in to find very little in the second super and took some time to watch carefully. Something I normally enjoy, but with everything that's happened recently I haven't done at all this year. I realised that they aren't bringing in any OSR. Only pale yellow pollen and no yellow heads at all. This is completely new to me. I realise that there really isn't any OSR planted anywhere near the hives and I feel pretty stupid for not noticing this before. I am one of those who really likes OSR and I'm very used to dealing with it as I live surrounded by the stuff. My main question is what should I do now? Should I take the honey when the OSR finishes flowering as I normally would, or can I leave it on and hope for honey later in the year?
I shook a couple of frames and it's not at all ready at the moment. I'm happy to leave it as I'm really busy with funeral arrangements and all the sad stuff that needs dealing with, but I don't want to neglect my bees or end up with supers full of solid honey, so I shall make time to spin it out if necessary.
Sorry to sound so pathetic and indecisive. I just stood in the field watching and thinking I didn't have a clue what to do for the best. I wish I hadn't moved them away now, but I did so I need to make a plan fairly soon as flowering is nearly over.
All and any advice will be gratefully received. I'm not usually so muddle headed with the bees but I don't know what to do for the best today.

Hi Harley
Let me begin by saying how sorry I am to hear of your loss. I know from personal experience how the world can pass you by without you even noticing things after such an event. It takes time. Be gentle on yourself. There is nothing to worry about. Your bees will be fine.
It may seem like there is no osr around, but, there almost certainly is. If you extract as normal, you won't be caught napping. If you leave it and it granulates, there is nothing much you can do except leave it as food (or melt the combs to recover the honey).
It's perfectly normal to feel a bit lost. Don't worry. Everything will be ok.

Thanks for such a comforting reply. I think I shall go ahead, as you suggest and if it isn't ready than I haven't lost much. I only dealt with granulated honey once and don't want to do that ever again.

So sorry Harley. I hope you find your peace soon.
I would make sure the bees have enough for them and take the rest. Get a cheap refractometer from eBay and if the honey has a lot of water put it in jars then freeze it, taking it out as needed for yourself.

So sorry to hear of your loss Harley1, you have my deepest sympathy. My wife lost her brother in tragic circumstances just a few weeks ago, I can only imagine how lost you are feeling.

Thanks all, for the kind words and advice. Moral support has done the trick. I have a plan and feel as if I can go back and carry on. Visiting the bees is very comforting and a good place to find some peace, away from what seems like endless phone calls and paperwork. Hopefully there'll be no more wobbly moments now I know what I need to do.

Latest posts

Back