How long should I wait for moisture content?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenster

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I syringed a few samples of honey from frames which are almost completely capped and the moisture content is 20%. So far I have not removed the frames for extraction but I really do need to give the bees some more space for storing nectar very soon and I can hardly pick the supers up already. Will the moisture content come down if I leave it in the hive a couple more days?

I syringed a few samples of honey from frames which are almost completely capped and the moisture content is 20%. So far I have not removed the frames for extraction but I really do need to give the bees some more space for storing nectar very soon and I can hardly pick the supers up already. Will the moisture content come down if I leave it in the hive a couple more days?
Add another super beneath the full one(s).

I only have two for each hive but I changed the order to put the fullest on top for what that's worth.

If they are capped then the moisture level won't come down. Spin off the frames that are mostly capped and give the wet frames and uncapped frames back to the bees

I only have two for each hive but I changed the order to put the fullest on top for what that's worth.
You'll need more than that or the bees will get congested and they'll be more likely to swarm. You need to add new supers when the existing ones are full of bees - whether they've filled the existing frames or they're still foundation.

If you've just got the 2 hives I'd suggest having 4 supers available per hive - better to have them and not need them. You might end up needing more than that.

Last edited:
As per Enrico. I find the moisture content will hopefully balance out in the bottom of the extractor, over moist balanced out by the drier stuff. Obviously I do not bother spinning the Obviously wet frames. As a last resort I can always blend high and low moisture honeys once in the bucket.

Latest posts

Back