Runny Honey using OSR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
January the first I made a batch of soft set honey using a couple of buckets of OSR honey. I never consider OSR honey for anything else, but curiosity got the better of me. So I prepared one jar as runny honey to see how long it takes to granulate when stored at normal room temperature in the kitchen.

14 days = small crystals started to appear.
18 days = crystals are 'significant' in size.

Just confirms my original views.

It will last much longer if you put it in the freezer, but once you take it out it will start crystalising at the same speed. If you can get through a jar in a couple of weeks this might not be much of a problem but no good for retail I think. "Best consumed in the next 14 days" might put people off!

The stuff does seem to vary, depending I guess on water content and how pure it is, in the sense of other nectar being mixed in.

Yes it definintely does vary. One factor is the amount of sucrose compared to glucose and fructose. Sucrose is the least soluble of the 3 and so more of it will cause faster crystallization. Also amount of sucrose reduces as the honey ages because the enzymes carry on breaking it down to the 2 simple sugars.
Another factor is how well filtered the honey is. Any minute solid particle, including unseen tiny crystals, will act as a seed for the start of crystallization.

What about blending the OSR honey with a later, main flow honey folks?

I'm presuming that this would make some difference?

I don't have OSR around me, so would welcome the opinion of those that do!

What about blending the OSR honey with a later, main flow honey folks?

I'm presuming that this would make some difference?

I don't have OSR around me, so would welcome the opinion of those that do!

The seeding principle still works. It will probably just make the later honey set like OSR.

Just cream your OSR, the public love it.

I remember a guy spooning free samples into his mouth so fast I thought (hoped the greedy sod would choke) all the while ranting off about how terrible OSR honey was. UH huh.....

I love watching an i.d.i.o.t prove it. For goodness sake Admin ***** is a banned word? What on earth has been going on?

PH

Latest posts

Back