Preparing runny honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just taken over an apiary in an orchard and harvested 115lb of honey from the 3 hives over the weekend.

Normally, all my honey contains rape so I soft set it however this has given me the opportunity to produce runny honey as there is no rape nearby.

As it is my first time with the runny honey, I have some questions:

1. What is the best ambient temperature to store the buckets of runny honey at?
2. Water content is 18% to 19% and I certainly dont want it getting any higher - leave it as is or put buckets in cabinet with a dehumidifier for a couple of days or until it drops?
3. Best temperature and filter size to use when bottling to remove any noticeable bits of legs, small wax etc?
4. How long would it take this honey to set if it did have a bit of rape / ivy in it ie how long to leave to make sure before bottling?

Cheers

1: the lower the better usually, why not freeze it and when its "thawed" it will still be runny.
2: you can always do that of course.
3: I just use the bulk standard bucket sieve, works for me.
4: who knows really.

I think I would reduce the water content a bit then bottle it and freeze whatever I don't need for immediate use/sale.

Can't answer 1 as I bottle all mine from extraction
2. I would consider 18% fine. 19% I would keep for me!
3. Two part sieve into settling tank
4.how long is a piece of string ... One week to never

1. 25/35c
2. Anything above 18.5 I will try to reduce but not paramount as I've had runny honey at 18.6-7 and it was fine..
Honey gets stored in the pantry or cellar.
3. Course siv into buckets then fine siv into jars when needed.
4. Weeks / months.
Extracting today :)

Back