runner bean competition

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done - haven't even planted mine, yet :(

I sowed my beans on 3 Jan in a Tupperware on a bit of damp paper. Put the lot in the airing cupboard and they were sprouted in about 4 days. Then I transferred them to a propagator filled with compost. This morning I looked at them and found the first have emerged! I will transplant them to individual pots soon.

6684102987_d9c0df3df0_z.jpg

I believe that Chris B and family will be growing Broad Beans again this year . . .

The strange thing is a few years ago they sowed Haricote Beans and Mange Toute, but they all came up Broad Beans and Broad Peas.

I'm convinced that it's either a horticultural phenomena or maybe just a family thing.

I must make a late start in the Bean Steaks. I'd rather that they turned out meaty than woody . . . :)

Bean Stakes - just in case you thought I couldn't spell.

Hey, Roche, did you swap the family cow for them beans by chance?

Fee, foe, fie, fum . . . :)

Bags I the goose.

Were GM beans allowed in the rules? Or is this a bit like the Butch Cassidy film: "Rules? In a bean fight?" Or something like that.

But seriously, those are seriously growing plants. I potted on mine today but they only have two true leaves - but I am talking to them a lot, so that should help.

i have to restart mine , being soooo clever i left them to close to the front window for sunlight and instead they got chilled and died off.

what ***** started this idea anyway?

Sow some more, plenty of time for them to catch up H P .
I was once daft enough to try and get really early runner beans by starting them in Jan, borrowing heaters for my greenhouse and growing them in there. By March I had 12 foot plants and had loads of flowers but not a single bean and I had no idea why. A month later still no beans, then it was pointed out that they are pollinated by wind or insect, neither of which were in my insulated greenhouse. We live and learn (hopefully)

Last edited:
Pollination could be a problem. I believe some varieties are better at self-pollination than others. I will try a bit of hand pollination on mine with a little brush - assuming I get any flowers.

Huh! Planted mine on 1/1/12 and there's not a sight of them yet. Two pots in greenhouse, one on warm kitchen windowsill. Think they've run away.

Sowed my beans at last!
Then realised they're Dwarf French Beans. Think this might be a bit of a handicap...

Sowed my beans at last!
Then realised they're Dwarf French Beans. Think this might be a bit of a handicap...

You could try trick photography or ironing them to make them flatter and larger but if that doesn't work just start your own class in the competition for French beans!

Perhaps there should be an open class for any sort of legume - although if there was I would have gone for for broad beans.

Latest posts

Back