Roof repairs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuttlefish

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This might have been answered already but I couldn't see an old thread on it - does anyone have handy hints for repairing a roof where the metal cover has split in places (corners mainly, plus some nail points on the sides)? The rain's soaking though and letting damp into the roof space.

I'm guessing just replace the zinc with some kind of roofing felt or bitumen roll, need something that's easily available in a DIY store, and suggestions much appreciated.

Hi Scuttlefish. look for a local printing works. They use very thin very strong aliminium sheets to print from.I purchsed these for £1 each. The ali cuts with strong scissors and makes excellent roofing material. Lighter tham felt etc and easy to fold and work with.

I'll second the "printing plates" idea -use some silicone with them and you'll have a waterproof roof that'll last well! (I've used them on hives and my shed with great success!) - I got over 70 for a fiver!

If you know the general area but are not sure of exactly where the water is getting in I can recommend "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure" (Yes that really is its name. A thin water like liquid that you allow to be drawn into the fissure by capillarity.

http://www.captaintolley.com/

SO many gags but so little time .

With a product name like that , it deserves to sell by the million .
G

If your roof is to the general dimensions of the Standard National, several suppliers(?) sell the galvanised steel separately; just replace old with new.

However, even though the used printing plates are a little on the thin side (approx 0.25mm) and generally a little narrow, compared to some covers, I can say it is a good alternative as I have made ten roofs using it.

My 'hind-sight' thought is that I wish I had actually stuck down the sheets, as I had fixed them on, but I am generally pleased with them, especially from the cost perspective.

RAB

If you are thinking of using the thin plates from printers , may I suggest using a little heat when bending them as there is a possibility of it cracking on the corners when you make the double bend .
Not my suggestion but RABs i believe from a previous thread .
It does make a difference .
G

Thanks - I think my original problem stems from the metal being too thin together with some heavy-handed assembly (don't have that problem with my self-assembled roof...).

Does anyone treat the wood underneath before putting the metal (or felt, or whatever) cover on?

I generally give Thornes chip board sheet in the roof a coat of green cuprinol ( got some old tins) on the outer surface ( under the tin). I dab a spot of silicon in each corner before I nail down the tin as I feel it seals the corners.

Last year I made up a top bar hive and roofed it with sheets of aluminium I had harvested from an old freezer. Had to join two bits and did this by an overlap sandwich filled with roof and gutter repair mastic. Works a treat.

I've got some 4' wide aluminium tape you just peel off the backing and it sticks "like S**t to a blanket"!

Not great for the long term, (intended use is for fixing/sealing insulation and foil-backed plaster board) but a brilliant emergency fix. :smash::smash:

Can be found at builders merchants and of course, ... fleabay.:sifone:

Google Bee Hive Bits they supply galvanised metal roof covers 503mm x 503mm @ £7
Sikoflex is the best sealant I have ever used

I have a mate who has a caravan service/repair business. I use offcuts of aluminium skin.
Hight be worth having a look in the yellow pages to see if there is a similar buisness nearby.

the recent storms have shown the weakness of my roof. i'm staying in a inter-terrace anyone has engaged a roof leakage repair company before & like to recommend their Good service I used 1 company before. not very good. came like 4 times in 1 year. they say sometimes the repair is more ART than Science. after patching 1 place, the water will find new place to seep thru. Also, anyone has advice to give about this roof repair?
Flat roof or Pent? If it's a flat roof over ten years old bite the bullet and have it replaced. Take the opportunity to improve insulation and go for a better skin than roofing felt.

the recent storms have shown the weakness of my roof. i'm staying in a inter-terrace anyone has engaged a roof leakage repair company before & like to recommend their Good service I used 1 company before. not very good. came like 4 times in 1 year. they say sometimes the repair is more ART than Science. after patching 1 place, the water will find new place to seep thru. Also, anyone has advice to give about this roof repair?
I think you mqy be on the wrong forum - looks like you are looking for advice on house roof repairs ? More so as, from your previous posts, you appear to be resident in the USA !

Hi

I need to undertake some roof repair, this consists of replacing rotten fascia board, re-applying some render, replacing ridge tiles, replacing some guttering and adding plastic covers to the roof verges. This will cost about 2k.
Hi...you're in totally the wrong pace. This forum is about beekeeping and the thread is about repairing a beehive roof
And you appear to be a member who was banned under another name so bye bye

Hi...you're in totally the wrong pace. This forum is about beekeeping and the thread is about repairing a beehive roof
And you appear to be a member who was banned under another name so bye bye
This is a years old thread resurrected

Back