Rodent control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been preparing for lambing and while moving bales in the lambing shed I disturbed some rats. Have been using my own mix of bait with Drat (chlorophacinone) in a permanent bait point which is checked weekly and bait replenished when necessary. I have been expecting resistance as the Drat has been reported as being ineffective because of resistance build up.

Any Pest Control Officers or gamekeepers had experience of other baits. As I have a Holding No. I can buy commercial products.

I have Fenn traps and cage traps set in tunnels, and I will get a bit of sport with the air rifle if I have time. I have found in the past the rats become warry of traps and avoid them after a few of their mates have been caught.

I used Slaymore for quite a while (Bromadiolone) they never seemed to build a resistance to it and it stopped them in their tracks, Nesorexa was good as well but you do need to swap after a while (Difenacoum) didn't have any bulk packs of either last time so I tried Raco (also Difenacoum) seems to be as good although I will be going back to Slaymor when I use this lot up.
But I'm sure Dexter's shed (ratcatcher) will be along with his expert opinion shortly

Phostoxin is good for moles as well, I'm not sure where the burrows are and as this one is gaseous I don't want to use it in the shed with young lambs/

I was thinking of Tomcat Bromadiolone. This comes in handy blocks and I should be able to use it in the holes and in the bait boxes.

I will wait and see what Ratcatcher suggests.

Mike

Just make sure what ever you use the anti dote isent vitamin k as maze is full of it so if any of your feed has it in it won't work so well

I will wait and see what Ratcatcher suggests.

Mike

I'd be inclined to get a rat pack in, half a dozen terries and a smoker, believe it or not, I'm not a lover of using poisons on large numbers on farms, much better to hit them hard with the dogs, then get a few lads in with air rifles to pick off the rest

Slaymore bought loose in bucket works out the cheapest then with the cup supplied put one cup full into a small freezer bag and tie a knot to seal it put the bag into bait boxes or into a drain pipe cut into two foot lengths lay against the side of the building that should stop them

I'd be inclined to get a rat pack in, half a dozen terries and a smoker, believe it or not, I'm not a lover of using poisons on large numbers on farms, much better to hit them hard with the dogs, then get a few lads in with air rifles to pick off the rest

A refreshing post!!!!!

The best control is natural control and this applies to most vermin, forget poisons they are never a good idea. Dogs, ferrets, it all makes for a good day's sport.

put one cup full into a small freezer bag and tie a knot to seal it
That was the usual procedure on ships - you know then, if the bag is broken you have a 'visitor'. First thing I'd do before rummaging the refer spaces on a banana boat would be to check if the bags were intact - not nice dragging yourself along a carwl space to come face to face with old rattus (should I use upper or lower case for that first letter I wonder?) and having to back up maybe half a ship's lengths as quickly as possible!

A refreshing post!!!!!

The best control is natural control and this applies to most vermin, forget poisons they are never a good idea. Dogs, ferrets, it all makes for a good day's sport.
:iagree:
yes but the handwringers will be on here up in arms before long - they have tahis puritanical view that you are not allowed to enjoy yourself however neccessary or humane the job is

Last edited:

A refreshing post!!!!! The best control is natural control and this applies to most vermin, forget poisons they are never a good idea. Dogs, ferrets, it all makes for a good day's sport.

:iagree:

Far more humane than poisons - though I can't "enjoy" it, as sport, I'm afraid. (Does that make me one of the handwringers?)

I had rats in the ditch under my bird feeders and two weeks ago i started putting the tomcat blocks down the holes, i was stuffing 3-4 blocks down every hole and used a half a bucket of the stuff, they were cleaning it all every night till the six night when they stopped eating it and started getting heartburn and bad indigestion.;o)

Darren

As a boy we had a steam boiler (old threshing engine with the cylinder and flywheel removed) to sterilise the soil in the tomato raising glasshouse. Steaming was a January job and on completion we would be left with a boiler with a full head of steam. It was a trivial job to run a steam hose to the chicken shed and treat the open ratholes to a thoroughly good blast of steam. Rats erupted at maximum speed, heading for anywhere that didn't have steam following but once clear of their holes the dogs were on their case.
Too expensive to sterilise soil with steam since those halcyon days of cheap coal and long before health and safety tentacles crept into plant raising nurseries.

Interesting reading about all this poison being put down holes, what happens to the rats that dont die in their holes. & are eaten by other animals/ Bop? & once the rats are dead & these blocks left in the holes are still there when voles/mice/shrews re colonise the holes. & they too are poisoned? If you must use poison at least use it in a way it doesnt harm anything else.
Now im going to wring my hands a bit more .:spy::icon_204-2:

As a boy we had a steam boiler (old threshing engine with the cylinder and flywheel removed) to sterilise the soil in the tomato raising glasshouse. Steaming was a January job and on completion we would be left with a boiler with a full head of steam. It was a trivial job to run a steam hose to the chicken shed and treat the open ratholes to a thoroughly good blast of steam. Rats erupted at maximum speed, heading for anywhere that didn't have steam following but once clear of their holes the dogs were on their case.
Too expensive to sterilise soil with steam since those halcyon days of cheap coal and long before health and safety tentacles crept into plant raising nurseries.

Nothing like the smell from steaming glasshouse soils. A smell I shall never forget. Those were the good old days.

Caught 2 rats last night, with the Fenn taps, Will keep them set, and I should not have to use any bait, The pig farms around me have a comprehensive control programme for their Freedom Foods, Red Tractor, Food to Fork and LEAF assessments, so I am reasonably well protected against rats.

Latest posts

Back