Rival beekeepers blamed for rise in hive thefts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find a charity with that name or number on charity commission website. Mind you, not all charities are required to register, but the majority are

rubbish - she stated on here almost twelve months to the day that she had 250 colonies. Then in April this year - in front of an auditorium full of beekeepers she stated the same (although the figure did change three times in the following half hour)
So what is the truth?
Maybe ITTLD can tell us

It must be the drink,and it seems you've lost a year to it.
Her last post was December 2015, fast forward 2 seasons.
But it makes the point nicely about trustworthy sources.

Last edited:
It must have been another forum or facebook but it was definitely last christmas/early this year.
The cywain meeting occurred 2017, during the late winter/early spring storms we had. A member on this forum will attest to her stating she had 200 odd hives as she was there with me. Doesn't really matter, the truth is anything stated by her should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
I'm not the only one to think that.
Sounds like you are one of the gullible following she seems to attract.

Last edited:
Her last post was December 2015,

Still not bad going though - 35 hives (her words in the telegraph on the 5th of August that year) 247 by Christmas 2015!!
250 to 400 hives (depending at what point in the hour long talk you woke up) during a meeting in Machynlleth early spring 2017 when she asked how to requeen her colonies.
Now a thousand.
Must have a state of the art extraction system to deal with that lot.
How many others does this 'charity' employ?

Last edited:
It must have been another forum or facebook but it was definitely last christmas/early this year.
The cywain meeting occurred 2017, during the late winter/early spring storms we had. A member on this forum will attest to her stating she had 200 odd hives as she was there with me. Doesn't really matter, the truth is anything stated by her should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
I'm not the only one to think that.

Amazing, you don't know what year it is or where you read it, but can remember verbatim a talk you weren't paying attention to from a year ago( I'm probably not the only one who doubts that).
All of your misinformation apparently makes me gullible lol.
I know her because she bought out a few Beekeepers including my mentor and was certainly adding hives by the hundreds at a time. I know her because she's by far the largest Beekeeper about and lives about 5 miles away. I know her because she's been nothing but helpfu with me expanding colony numbers since my mentors introductionI don't know how many work there 3 or 4 maybe but I've no idea who's full time, who's part time.
You damn her word for that is written in a newspaper.we expect to get specifics wrong . Yet completely ignore that the only thing proved here is that you can't remember anything accurately

Last edited:

And do you know many of her friends or is this just another creation of a mind only capable of judging others by their own standards.

TooBee ... have you got a link to the GPS tracker kit?
Most of the ones I'm aware of (car) require a 12V supply of some sort.
Thanks

Not sure if this is of any use to you, this is a 12v 7Ah LiOn battery pack, it weighs around 1.5lb, a new one will last roughly 1hr 30min of continuous use with a 100watt halogen bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 6
but can remember verbatim a talk you weren't paying attention to from a year ago

Thursday 23rd February 2017 at the Centre for Alternative Technology - Machynlleth:
Welsh conference on Beekeeping with local bees, organised by Cywain Cymru and Menter a busnes.
second afternoon session following the talk on Queen rearing the Jenkins way- Steve Rose on queen rearing and colony selection It was one of the more interesting talks of the day - it is only your little mind that has decided I wasn't paying attention. Some will still recall that Steve Rose was rather confused and taken aback that an 'experienced' beekeeper of 250 odd colonies should ask how to go about requeening them.
But enough of this - I'll just leave you carry on what you do best - trolling forum members, especially those with a predilection towards AMM/locally adapted bees.
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda a gwahan i nôl i dy dwll i 'ware dy galar di.

Thursday 23rd February 2017 at the Centre for Alternative Technology - Machynlleth:
Welsh conference on Beekeeping with local bees, organised by Cywain Cymru and Menter a busnes.
second afternoon session following the talk on Queen rearing the Jenkins way- Steve Rose on queen rearing and colony selection It was one of the more interesting talks of the day - it is only your little mind that has decided I wasn't paying attention. i.

Jeeze! Seems you can't even remember what you wrote yesterday.

(depending at what point in the hour long talk you woke up) during a meeting in Machynlleth early spring 2017

Perhaps a visit to your GP to discuss early onset dementia is in order. As for you passive aggressive Amm persecution complex( I couldn't care less what bees you keep, can you say the same ?) I'm sure there's a therapist out there who can help.

- I'll just leave you carry on what you do best - trolling forum members, especially those with a predilection towards AMM/locally adapted bees.

Lol, you really have lost it haven't you. Here I am defending a keeper of native only Bees, being accused of trolling native Beekeepers.

TooBee ... have you got a link to the GPS tracker kit?

Most of the ones I'm aware of (car) require a 12V supply of some sort.

Thanks

Hi Fatshark

Try Geoforce dot com. We're using the GT1 at work which I think is their most expensive but it is rated for explosive atmospheres (oil platforms). Their other ones will be more affordable, integral batteries and comms over satellite.

And to you! We have another one which has a solar panel on it and I think might be cheaper still, I'll have a look when I'm back at work. The satellite data subscription could be an issue, but some work with SIM cards.

I suggest that some of the widespread publicity about hive-stealing is just attention-seeking, and may make a localized problem into a large problem.

Last edited:
I suggest that some of the widespread publicity about hive-stealing is just attention-seeking, and may make a localized problem into a large problem.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Trouble is that the more hive thefts get publicised in the media and the more the less honest of people come to know about the value of what's in them - and how easy it really is to steal them - the more risk we will face with our out apiaries.

We regularly get hive thefts in and around my area in spring time and the suspicion is that it's the same person/people doing it every year. Nice little earner if you can steal 10 or so healthy over wintered colonies in early spring and sell them on to some unsuspecting beekeeper who wants to expand or replace lost colonies. Who would know once they have been re-hived ?

I still think the biggest deterrent - indeed safeguard - is a bucket of concrete with a piece of bent re-bar let into it, bury it in the ground under the hive and pass a bloody big chain over the top of the hive and through a big eye bolt let into the roof and padlock it to the hoop of rebar. It may not stop the really determined thief but it might just make them think twice about it and go elsewhere....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back