Journalist questions regarding UK hive thefts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Gibson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

I'm a student journalist at Cardiff University, and I'm currently working on an in-depth article for the Shorthand website regarding the recent spate of hive thefts over the past few years - in particular the theft of a million bees from Brackley bees in March. Now, I'm trying to do this with a greater degree of accuracy than the Daily Telegraph typically manages, so I would love to hear the opinions of the community as a whole rather than just one or two specific sources.

Specifically, what do you think has caused the recent rise in hive thefts? How do you think the thieves are most likely to sell their stolen property? And what measures are you taking to protect your hives (if any)?

Finally, as someone largely unfamiliar with the industry, I am curious: just how much are queen bees typically worth?

Any help you can provide, or other angles you think are worth exploring, would be really helpful. Thank you! :)

how long is a piece of string. A well bred queen from know parentage is worth just under £40 ish. A million bees ...... lots of bees in a hive! 60,000 ish.
The honey is worth money, the bees are worth money £350 ish for all the bees in a hive, the queen is worth money and the equipment is worth money.
You will get loads of other answers on this I should think!
E

Hi all,

I'm a student journalist at Cardiff University, and I'm currently working on an in-depth article for the Shorthand website regarding the recent spate of hive thefts over the past few years - in particular the theft of a million bees from Brackley bees in March. Now, I'm trying to do this with a greater degree of accuracy than the Daily Telegraph typically manages, so I would love to hear the opinions of the community as a whole rather than just one or two specific sources.

Specifically, what do you think has caused the recent rise in hive thefts? How do you think the thieves are most likely to sell their stolen property? And what measures are you taking to protect your hives (if any)?

Finally, as someone largely unfamiliar with the industry, I am curious: just how much are queen bees typically worth?

Any help you can provide, or other angles you think are worth exploring, would be really helpful. Thank you! :)

Queen £30
Small colony £100 to £200
Hive £100 to £150
Colony size is typically in summer around 30,000 bees in summer and 15,000 in winter.

Therefore the theft you refer to is around £12,000 in replacement costs
and losses from missed honey sales come to around £3000 and at at least £3000 in bee revenue from the extra colonies produced from those stolen.

Total theft £18,000
£18000

I suspect a major driver is the over-inflated prices quoted in newspaper articles ;) ... or, perhaps more seriously, the oversimplification in the press of how easy it is to keep bees, thereby driving continuing demand.

If the articles stated that it was difficult, that honey yields were often poor, that up to 50% of the stock would die each winter, that it's hot as hell working in a bee suit in midsummer (and that you have to do this weekly during the peak of the season) and that to do it well it's blinkin' hard work it might discourage some from starting in the first place.

It's also a result of the high demand for bees early in the season due to high overwintering colony losses ... this in turn is often due to poor colony management, poor disease control and our climate.

As an aside ... are there really more hive thefts now than previously, or are there just more reported?

Not an aside it's the bit if I were that student I would be looking at first.

Ain't it the prime rule of journalism to CHECK the FACTS????????????

PH

Hi Poly Hive and fatshark,

You raise an interesting point there about whether the rise is actual or perceived based on increased media coverage. Which in turn surely raises another question - if the number of thefts has actually remained roughly constant, then why are they only getting more attention now?

Certainly the Brackley Bees robbery was the largest on record, and I know for a fact that hive thefts have become an increasingly serious problem abroad. However, as you say, I am also trying to check the statistics themselves (where available), but the time taken for the processing of Freedom of Information requests (up to 20 working days) is hugely limiting if like me you're working to a tight deadline.

So in that case, I have to ask whether in your experience you think thefts are on the rise or if this is just a perception created by the media?

Ain't it the prime rule of journalism to CHECK the FACTS????????????

PH

Then make up the best selling story.
:ohthedrama:

Queen £30
Small colony £100 to £200
Hive £100 to £150

Where do you find those prices, (resale of said stolen items) on Flea-bay?

an interesting point there about whether the rise is actual or perceived based on increased media coverage. ?

Media reporting bypasses local plod sat outside the doughnut shop with their thumbs up their you know where while the Chief Constable massages the official figures!

Last edited:
You are shooting low on the prices Derek.

Did the alleged great theft even actually take place?

Like I say the facts need VERY carefully checking as in my experience when the media get involved it's like train tracks. There are the real facts on the left and what the media portrays on the right, never the twain to meet.

Cynical? Not at all: hard experience.

PH

However, as you say, I am also trying to check the statistics themselves (where available), but the time taken for the processing of Freedom of Information requests (up to 20 working days) is hugely limiting if like me you're working to a tight deadline.

I can’t believe you said that
So if your schedule is too tight and you can’t verify your information you should do the honourable thing and spike the piece.

seems to be getting into the old journalistic trick of sensationalism and hyperbole already. Studying for your masters? or a job on the Daily Bigot (sorry, Mail) a million bees! twenty five hives?hardly the great train robbery is it?

And peoples opinions are often far from fact!!!!

The thing I don't understand about larger thefts, is to whom are they sold?

Beekeepers wouldn't buy them (the queens are worthless without provenance, and the hives are often marked in some way), it must be beginners buying from ebay, but that quantity... it would attract too much attention surely... and the thieves would need to be beekeepers of a sort themselves?
Could they be stolen to order, that requires multiple individuals and with that comes increased risk.
To me it's very perplexing. One or two hives, a time, yes that's understandable, selling from the thief's backyard, but still the local beekeeping communities aren't that big and word would spread of sudden sources of bees...

Hi all,

What makes you suggest it's on the rise? Hive thefts have gone on for decades, many unreported. Worth looking into past court records for any successful prosecutions for stealing bees. Bee thefts are newsworthy but not police time worthy. I'll bet you can't find any...which a story all in itself.

Why do you think the thieves are selling their stolen property?
Given it is most likely that beekeepers are the thief's it would make more sense for them to keep their "free" hives as in making increase and sell the extra honey.

Final suggestion is directly contact the people who have had hives stolen. All you will get from a forum is opinionated opinions :)

And what measures are you taking to protect your hives (if any)?

I'm
making / modifying my own hives = more difficult to sell on different hive types;
adding a GPS Tracker into the wall of one hive, more than one is too expensive (linked to my phone);
placing a motion camera (with night vision) to keep an eye on the hives (linked to my phone);
clearly marking the standard hives I have, and marking them internally with a UV pen;
I think you all can tell I've been talking to a local beekeeper that is a bit paranoid, he claims to even have added little RFID's to one wall of all his hives and to one frame in each of the boxes, he has a device somewhere in his out apiary that detects their movement in case someone decides to just steal the frames of honey / bees! But I think he's going over the top with that one!

Of course, it's always bigger in America ... 2500 hives valued at c. $1M ... "a chop shop for beehives".

Makes the Brackley Bees heist look like amateurs ...

And in response to the Q re. are they increasing ... I honestly don't know. In my time as a beekeeper there have always been a few colonies here and there going missing, but there's certainly more media interest now as the popular press hypes up the incessant - and wrong - bees are doomed stories.

A decade or more ago any articles about bees in the press was reasonably rare ... now it's seen as a way to boost the environmental credentials and, presumably, sales.

Beekeepers wouldn't buy them (the queens are worthless without provenance),

Really? tell us more

and the hives are often marked in some way

Simple (and this has been reported as happening) shook swarm onto new frames, burn the old kit, or take the risk that only the boxes are marked and remove the frames into new boxes - even split the colonies and double or treble your 'profit'

We see at least 2 or 3 hive thefts in the Hampshire/Surrey/Wiltshire areas every year - tend to be out apiaries - often not visible from the road and the thefts tend to take the best and leave behind a tidy site. They don't seem to return to the same site or area twice. Nearly always early in the season as the build up starts.

Which seems to suggest:
a) It's someone who knows bees (I'd be reluctant to call the thief a beekeeper).
b) It's a planned theft.
c) It's colonies and not honey that the initial theft is seeking
d) It's someone or persons who travel about and have access to a van

Personally, I doubt that these stolen colonies are being passed on ... or sold on the likes of ebay. I think it's someone who has a couple of quiet apiaries well off the beaten track where they can put them - I suspect that they won't bother swapping boxes or frames but they could have a nice little earner selling the honey to people they know and trust.

They have to be outside the mainstream beekeeping community as only a new beekeeper or someone who didn't care would buy bees without known providence - but honey is a different matter - particularly if you have an accessible market within your circle of associates.

I don't think that hive thefts in this area are increasing - about the same every year which leads me to the above conclusions.

As for what precautions most beekeepers are taking ... very few is the honest answer and the general feeling is that hive theft is something that will happen to someone else.

There are a few major thefts every year that are outside of the 'norm' but these tend to be in a different league.

What's the motivation ? Money ... one way or another.

Last edited:
Are there ANY convictions for this that anyone knows of, no matter how long ago?

Ha,ha. Three colonies stolen and basically destroyed (moved a short distance and returned about two weeks later, after scumbag was given a police caution. Effing idiot starting out beekeeping. Ignorant bar steward (no, not a public house landlord!).

Latest posts

Back