Risk Assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I have been asked to write a risk assessment for one of my out apiaries. I've done the usual search on here but was hoping for more specific advice born from actual experience.

To save re-inventing the wheel, has anyone a copy they have written that I could find some inspiration from please?

Thanks H

It aint rocket science.

List the risks and plot the likelihood against the severity.

A good example is take a look at the severe weather warnings on the met-office website.

Then take into account mitigating actions;
Signage, "Keep Away"
PPE, from Budgie smugglers & Flipflops up to C19 divers suit.

Hachi - the BBKA sheets looked pretty good although I'm not sure that the people at your apiary are interested in "Risks to Bees". There is nothing there about any risks arising from the use of chemicals, some of which are pretty dangerous if used incorrectly (Oxalic Acid, Bleach, Acetic Acid, etc.), so you might want to adapt that document to your own use.

The process is - Identify the hazards > what are the risks arising from the hazards (likelihood of occurrence and severity of injuries) > mitigation measures to reduce the risk > is remaining risk acceptable?

How far you go depends on whether you want it to be a tick-box exercise to satisfy your apiary owners or whether you want to go through the thought processes yourself and fully understand what's on the piece of paper.

CVB

I have been asked to write a risk assessment for one of my out apiaries. I've done the usual search on here but was hoping for more specific advice born from actual experience.

To save re-inventing the wheel, has anyone a copy they have written that I could find some inspiration from please?

Thanks H

If you need pointers, drop me a line, did my IOSH qualifications a few months ago, used the honey extracting room as my assignment, just a simple calculation of likelihood of a hazardous event occurring x the consequence if it does. Reducing either or both reduces the risk.

Latest posts

Back