Revised BBKA swarm insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
This afternoon i had a talk to the local BBKA coordinator of swarm collectors and he said that due to the BBKA now advertising on it web site details of swarm collectors that the BBKA public Liabilty insurance has been revised

It follows on from concerns that the levels of insurance cover for swarm collectors limited to swarms under 30ft from the ground and with easy access was inadequate

Do go mad but

it now appears the BBKA broker have arrange for the cover to be extended from October 2011 to any height and include the competent removal of masonry and tiles etc to collect swarm bees. it does not cover wasps nests or Bumble bees ( Towergate brokers address is on the BBKA public liabilty certificate on the BBKA member part of the web site, if you collect at high level them i suggest you confirm details though)

Remember it is public liability insurance not personal injury insurance and a cherry picker is a better option than a 60ft ladder under elf and safety so do a risk assement

Does not sound like a very good decision on the insurers part.

There were attempts to get clarification of the exact details of both the swarm insurance and the public liability insurance at the ADM last Saturday.

Certainly the documents available online tell us very little (and seem to suddenly have been added to?): exclusions such as things supplied for aircraft aren't exactly mainstream! The fact that primary hive products are covered and lotions and potions etc are not seems not so clear cut now...we were told that honey with added nuts or honey mustard say are NOT covered. Our BKA and the adjacent one will keep badgering for the complete documents to be easily available (and preferably comprehensible).

I find it hard to believe that the policy covers DIYers and rank amateurs from damage due to cutouts etc at any altitude. No insurance company can be that daft surely.

There were attempts to get clarification of the exact details of both the swarm insurance and the public liability insurance at the ADM last Saturday.

I find it hard to believe that the policy covers DIYers and rank amateurs from damage due to cutouts etc at any altitude. No insurance company can be that daft surely.

the competent removal of masonry and tiles etc to collect swarm bees.

I think they are relying on the word 'competent' for that one, susbees

So just for clarification... I haven't checked my members area yet, but BBKA haven't put anything on the site to prove this? Without a revised certificate it doesn't help us much.

It is a good thing for me who has knowledge of construction and h&s, however there are going to be some wacky people ripping things apart left right and centre! or would they do it anyway disregarding what insurance says or does not say?

And how exactly do you determine a competent mess-up from an incompetent one I wonder....not just a matter of scale or correct equipment....

"It's a very odd clause that one...not quite sure which hive product they think we'd be peddling to aerospace!"

well judging by their calendars Ryanair have Honeys on board. BA definitely DO NOT!

Certainly the documents available online tell us very little (and seem to suddenly have been added to?): exclusions such as things supplied for aircraft aren't exactly mainstream! The fact that primary hive products are covered and lotions and potions etc are not seems not so clear cut now...we were told that honey with added nuts or honey mustard say are NOT covered. Our BKA and the adjacent one will keep badgering for the complete documents to be easily available (and preferably comprehensible).

Susbees when badgering them you may want to refer to the Welsh BKA ins that does cover 'cosmetics' available to individual members from £15.

Thanks for that Russel...my partner has Monty Bees membership and our honey is all produced in Wales so it seems we could get cover easily enough. But will still plod on looking for transparency in the English policy.

Good to see DrS is taking important issues seriously as always.

So just for clarification... I haven't checked my members area yet, but BBKA haven't put anything on the site to prove this? Without a revised certificate it doesn't help us much.

It is a good thing for me who has knowledge of construction and h&s, however there are going to be some wacky people ripping things apart left right and centre! or would they do it anyway disregarding what insurance says or does not say?

Suggest a quick call to towergate as i suggest in my first post, i dont collect so just passing on what i have been told

it would be good for anyone who collects to confirm with towergate what they say and post it on here

My experience of similar all encompassing "CLUB" insurances is that the cover is pretty minimal at the best.

My advice from experience in a different line of professionalism in dealing with the public, and other employers of your services....... ie third parties is to get them to sign a disclaimer for you causing any damage to them, their property, or anyone, or anything else BEFORE you enter into a contract to do anything.

The word NEGLECT has been, and remains a license for barristers and their ilk to print money, and no insurance company will cover you for that!

There is also the third parties (employers) liability to you..... should someone request that you remove a swarm or colony from their property ( paid for or not, as the bees taken could be deemed as payment) they have to ensure your safe working environment.
A similar situation is someone cleaning your windows... if they should fall and they ( or their insurers) can prove your neglect in not ensuring a safe working environment YOU could be liable!

Litigation..... don't go there... believe you me!!!

No matter what your BBKA level of exams passed or BBKA insurance offered... neither will mitigate you against any claim against you in court!

AND... do not forget to take your solicitor with you when you get that "CONTRACT" signed to remove the swarm / colony.

May be that is why the professional pest exterminators want £###.## plus to remove a swarm /colony from any where above eye level?

On a serious note I'd question how the insurers define "competent". Presumably would find some way to wiggle out of any situation based on lack of appropriate certification.

On a serious note I'd question how the insurers define "competent". Presumably would find some way to wiggle out of any situation based on lack of appropriate certification.

WRIGGLE !!!!....................
Lets put it this way .. IMO... The BBKA insurance is not even worth the paper it is written on...
Speaking for myself I have yet to meet anyone who has had a claim on it settled?

So you've met some who haven't?

I have never met anyone who has had to make a claim
I have never met anyone who has had a claim settled either
My question was has anyone on this forum had to claim for third party liability and did the insurance settle that claim?

susbees ... are you a barrister??? .. because you seem to often twist and twirl others words around in a somewhat similar fashion!!

QED

Originally Posted by susbees View Post
The public liability insurance is included in the BBKA capitation fees and I have asked the insurers for a copy of the policy (following another thread on insurance today). If you have under forty hives, sell your honey on a [I]farmers' market [/I]say, have visitors on the apiary and/or collect swarms as a public service then theoretically it's good value. The BDI insurance - the "per hive" surcharge for foulbrood compensation and the first few SHB cases when they arrive is in my view archaic.

.... Farmer's market, not farmers' market, as me "Gramma" would have said!!
A Grocer perhaps.. not a barrister?​

Unless there is only one farmer at this market surely farmers' is correct?

www.apostrophe.org.uk

Yes... but only if as in Farmers' markets.... where there is more than one farmer owning more than one market!
not worthy

What a confusing language...
He went out with his wife......​

Please tell me whose wife he went out with ?

Latest posts

Back