Reusing wax?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff M

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 National & 1 Rose
I've recently been feeding a new colony with a rapid feeder and they quickly built some brand new white comb up into the entrance, which I removed. After finishing feeding I put some wax cappings in the feeder for the bees to clean up for me before removing the feeder from the hive. When I can to remove it, the bees had again built comb up into the entrance, but this time it was yellowish brown like the cappings I'd left.

My question is therefore, can bees move or reuse wax in the hive?

I know they're clever critters and it surely must be easier to reuse existing wax rather than make new stuff.

I've recently been feeding a new colony with a rapid feeder and they quickly built some brand new white comb up into the entrance, which I removed. After finishing feeding I put some wax cappings in the feeder for the bees to clean up for me before removing the feeder from the hive. When I can to remove it, the bees had again built comb up into the entrance, but this time it was yellowish brown like the cappings I'd left.

My question is therefore, can bees move or reuse wax in the hive?

I know they're clever critters and it surely must be easier to reuse existing wax rather than make new stuff.

What do you think?

** That was a rapid feeder with cappings that I left on for them to clean up!!

Attachments

• IMG_6979.JPG
    IMG_6979.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Yes, very similar to mine. I guess they can!

Mine are certainly capable of remodelling the wax .. but whether they actually move it very far from where it was I'm not sure. Being foundationless I occasionally get some creative bits of comb and if there is anything stored in there I just tend to leave it on the floor or propped at the bottom of a frame and they seem to clear it very quickly, break some of it down and then, given the opportunity, they will attach/bridge it to any comb or anything else in the vicinity. I've learned not to leave it too long for them to get at ... just enough time to clear any honey out then whisk it out of their way !

Latest posts

Back