Rescue cat home check

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
I'm thinking about rehoming a rescue cat. My best mate Bubble had to be put down recently and I won't last long before I succumb to the furry lure.

Bubble never bothered the bees as they are over 100m away at the other end of the garden and she was quite content stopping at the rabbit holes closer to home.

Does anyone know if a rescue cat home checker will be put off by beehives? Should I neglect to mention them and avoid the bottom of the garden? Or will they not care? Any ideas?

Cazza

I have 5 cats - one of them sat on the roof of the hive trying to bop the bees going in and out - a couple of stings later she gives it a wide berth.

Other cats just walk past and ignore the hives now so assume they have got to close in the past :)

My chickens dig around the base of the hives - they ignore the bees and the bees ignore them :)

Where in North Suffolk are you?

Hi Ed
I'm south of Diss.
I'm not concerned about the cat with the bees but would be gutted if I was deemed unsuitable because of the hives. Hopefully the cat rescue centres aren't that picky?
Cazza

FFS. do they want them adopted?

you are an ex cat owner with garden. case closed.

DOI: 28 odd semi-feral/rescue cats at present (inc. 6 of this years dumped kittens).

occasionally climb on hives and have had one stung paw to date.

Thanks Dr S.
It's not a garden, it's a cat's paradise with access to woods and fields for further exploration!
C

perhaps they'll turn you down on grounds of potential over-stimulation!!!!

ours have safe access to 5+ hectares of woods and 10+ Ha of hay/clover meadow. the hardened core go for walks with us around the perimeter!!!

I've re-homed many cats and some organisations are picky. The worst is the RSPCA. They will not give animals to old people in many places in case they outlive their owners. I don't suppose any home checkers will know about bees unless they are beekeepers themselves. My advice is to not mention them. I don't suppose for a minute your garden will be examined. All they want to know is whether you have a large dog that will eat any newcomer, whether you live on a busy main road and whether you are out at work all day, hence in a position to neglect any new pet. They are also likely to frown on your application if you are on benefits, therefore possibly unable to afford vet fees.

our local region has a scheme specifically to rehouse cats with single oldies - costs of vaccinations etc included.

I've re-homed many cats and some organisations are picky. The worst is the RSPCA. They will not give animals to old people in many places in case they outlive their owners. I don't suppose any home checkers will know about bees unless they are beekeepers themselves. My advice is to not mention them. I don't suppose for a minute your garden will be examined. All they want to know is whether you have a large dog that will eat any newcomer, whether you live on a busy main road and whether you are out at work all day, hence in a position to neglect any new pet. They are also likely to frown on your application if you are on benefits, therefore possibly unable to afford vet fees.
:iagree:
I was refused when I applied to rehome 2 cats, because I was working full time. Even though I was close enough to get home each lunchtime.

(I wonder what the RSPCA class as "old?") :eek:

That, Dr S, is wonderful. I just wish the RSPCA where I practiced for twenty years had been that understanding.

We have a large wooded back garden but were turned down by the RSPCA as the road at the front was an "A" road.

Ended up getting a spare cat privately from someone who was emigrating about 10 years ago.

Cat doing fine - also never had any probs between cat and my bees over the last couple of years.

DDD

:iagree:
I was refused when I applied to rehome 2 cats, because I was working full time. Even though I was close enough to get home each lunchtime.

(I wonder what the RSPCA class as "old?") :eek:

My cats only need the staff around at breakfast and dinner time.

Latest posts

Back