Requeening - how soon to add the Q+ colony after dispatching the unwanted queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
I have a fairly stacked hive with 8 frames of brood (Dadant). Currently there's 2 supers on it, 1 to be harvested next weekend and the other just to give space after harvesting a super 2 weeks ago. They're not the nicest of bees and so I'd like to dispatch the queen and combine with a nuc I have. I'm not sure on the process though and would appreciate any pointers!

Once I'd dispatched the queen should I leave it 8 days, knock down queen cells and then combine or can I do it straight after dispatching the queen? Or is there a better method I haven't thought of? I'm also not sure on timing - now, or when the population has dropped a bit?

Thanks in advance.

Through one super should be problem free. I have had a few queen cells uniting through three but you consolidate as soon as you see a decent amount of newspaper on the floor so you just take them down.

So would my new configuration going upwards would be: Q+ brood box, QE, super, Q- brood box?

So would my new configuration going upwards would be: Q+ brood box, QE, super, Q- brood box?
why swap them around? I'm assuming that the colony with the two supers is staying in the same spot?
Just get in there, dispatch the queen, replace supers, newspaper, QX then Q+ colony, then when you go back in after the unite to consolidate the boxes, move the queen down then

why swap them around? I'm assuming that the colony with the two supers is staying in the same spot?
Just get in there, dispatch the queen, replace supers, newspaper, QX then Q+ colony, then when you go back in after the unite to consolidate the boxes, move the queen down then
Spot on - original colony staying in same place. I like your method, makes it nice and simple for me. How long would you leave it before going back in?

It’s what I do if queenright box is on top.
I move the hive along the stand and put down a new floor. Quickly lift the top box with the queen in and put it on the new floor. Check she is there and consolidate the colony

How long would you leave it before going back in?
a few days - once they've broken through the paper, just give them a couple of days to settle, then just consolidate - don't rattle around the box trying to find the queen/brood etc.

Latest posts

Back