Requeening. First stage done

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then maybe hivemaker should send them with instructions. I asked him how he suggested I introduce my queen and had no reply.

I peeked in my nuc today. The candy is eaten and queen is released. Didn't look for her though just quickly shut hive and left.
Hi Obee.
Snelgrove wrote a whole book on the introduction of queen bees you can still find it online
Regards the cage biting etc the check is gently run a match down the outside of the cage If the bees step over the match you can remove the tab.
If they cling on and wont let the match pass they need more time.
Hope that helps for next requeen

Last edited:
Hi Obee.

Regards the cage biting etc the check is gently run a match down the outside of the cage If the bees step over the match you can remove the tab.
John

What's that all about? Bees that are hostile grab onto the cage and won't let go? Makes me sort of nervous that a guard bee initially "grabbed at" my (Hivemaker) Q when I repatriated her from the upper BB of a Demaree via the entrance. Seems like she walked in OK after that though.

They are aggressive to any queen they dont recognise
So in the case of your queen the guard bee decided she was an intruder.
They are quite tough though so she probably got in where the house bees would protect her

Hi Obee.
Snelgrove wrote a whole book on the introduction of queen bees you can still find it online

Thanks for that. This whole process has been really educational. I will try the matchstick thing next time. (I am requeening a different hive in the next few weeks - I can just hear RAB groaning!) just been to check my hive and they have shredded so much newspaper I'm assuming they must be through by now.

Obee

Back