Replacing Brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
the 5 frames i had with my Nuc last year look a bit shabby now and i was thinkibg of replaceing them

Is this best done next year or late this year.
Also you you do them all at once or say 1 at each inspection.

I have searched before asking - honest

Phill

i think u ifits warm enuf to feed you will be ok and im 100 % shaw you can do a few at a time id say to if you got no brood in em this time of year some one migte say dnt be stupid but to be safe lol and keep the other onse if you can caus this weather is so unpradictable

Combs go very dark in comparison to new foundation in as little as 1 season. That doesn't mean it is no good.

i think u ifits warm enuf to feed you will be ok and im 100 % shaw you can do a few at a time id say to if you got no brood in em this time of year some one migte say dnt be stupid but to be safe lol and keep the other onse if you can caus this weather is so unpradictable

EAELY SPRING http://www.*************/local/ludlow/bm~doc/fera-faq5-replacingoldbroodcomb.pdf
THOUGT YOU MAY GET LUCKY BUT but had to look it up how to oldframes bee keepping so bascly its early spring just befor big build up

Not now!

This isn't the time to be asking the bees to draw out lots of new wax!
Frames should last a long time. Prop preserves the wood!
Its the comb that needs changing on bee-hygiene considerations. / after about 3 years, typically
So, the old frames can get new foundation, and you can melt down and filter some beeswax from the manky comb.

Doing the change - you could do a "Bailey comb change" (all at once, moving up into a spare brood box). Though some "work them to the outside" and change them when they have the opportunity, one or two at a time, aiming to change 1/3 every year.
Do it when there's a flow on.

Its useful to keep a few frames of "drawn comb" (even if its a bit old and dirty) because when you need some, there's nowhere else to get it from ...

Last edited:
Not now!

This isn't the time to be asking the bees to draw out lots of new wax!
Frames should last a long time. Prop preserves the wood!
Its the comb that needs changing on bee-hygiene considerations. / after about 3 years, typically
So, the old frames can get new foundation, and you can melt down and filter some beeswax from the manky comb.

Doing the change - you could do a "Bailey comb change" (all at once, moving up into a spare brood box). Though some "work them to the outside" and change them when they have the opportunity, one or two at a time, aiming to change 1/3 every year.
Do it when there's a flow on.

Its useful to keep a few frames of "drawn comb" (even if its a bit old and dirty) because when you need some, there's nowhere else to get it from ...
what shes saying is rite xd :) as i did check what i put caus i thougt the aim now is feed feed feed but had got confused caus i new its when queen ante laying much or isnt at all sorryfor saying wrong thing did check arfer :)

what shes saying is rite xd :) as i did check what i put caus i thougt the aim now is feed feed feed but had got confused caus i new its when queen ante laying much or isnt at all sorryfor saying wrong thing did check arfer :)

Thanks Kristin itma
When i got the Nucn the frames seems a bit old(ish) and they are very dark.
Will probally do it early next year. I have plenty new frames and foundation so its not a problem in that score.

Heck i am only taking the honey off this weekend.

Phill

To add to Itma, who answered thoughtfully as usual. Changing single frames can take a long time, Bailey takes three weeks or so, and a shook swarm is fairly 'instant'. There are different pros and cons for each.

Back